sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 1, 2021 8:40 am  #1

Time Change Comes Early for Bell Customers

Some Bell Mobility customers thought they had another hour of sleep this morning.  The time on the phones had automatically moved back an hour overnight, one week before the official time change on November 7th..More from City tv.https://toronto.citynews.ca/2021/11/01/bell-time-smartphones-fall-back/

November 1, 2021 8:56 am  #2

Re: Time Change Comes Early for Bell Customers

I'm guessing some Bell Mobility customers were probably late for work this morning, too. 

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

November 1, 2021 12:06 pm  #3

https://twitter.com/TPSOperations/status/1455200609058033673?t=7x9pHPdmJtDHBuw5sGdH9A&s=19

Could this problem with the TPS phones be related?

I'm pretty sure the error occurred because Bell was confused about the time change in Britain that happened this weekend.

Looks like Bell's head of IT is SOL.

No apologies or explaination on the official Bell Media PR Twitter page. Probably doing the basic PR manoeuvre, least said, soonest forgotten about.

November 1, 2021 12:22 pm  #4

Worth noting that they did this story as a copy-only piece on CFTO's noon news. The anchor related that "some cell phone users" experienced an issue with the time on their smart phones Monday morning, noted how to fix it, and reminded viewers that Standard Time returns next Sunday. 

What wasn't mentioned? The word "Bell" or that it was only that company's customers who were inconvenienced. 

And who owns CTV Toronto? Well, we all know the answer to that.

C'mon guys. Own it. It happened to your corporate brethren. It was pretty clear that rather important fact was carefully written to deliberately leave it out of your version of the story. One that barely ran 30 seconds. 

That's just embarrassing. 

I wonder if it will even be mentioned on the 6?

November 1, 2021 12:49 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

What wasn't mentioned? The word "Bell" or that it was only that company's customers who were inconvenienced. 

And who owns CTV Toronto? Well, we all know the answer to that.

C'mon guys. Own it. It happened to your corporate brethren. It was pretty clear that rather important fact was carefully written to deliberately leave it out of your version of the story. One that barely ran 30 seconds. 

That's just embarrassing. 

I wonder if it will even be mentioned on the 6?

How did CFRB cover it this this morning? Citynews 680 was all over it!
Other radio stations? I did not check AM 640, but I don't doubt they would have made a bigger topic of it than NT 1010...

Last edited by Radiowiz (November 1, 2021 12:52 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 1, 2021 1:05 pm  #6

NT1010 was very transparent about what happened and the company involved, including copy that indicated the station is also owned by Bell Media. It seems the folks at CFTO didn't think it was necessary to note either one and appeared to want to get through the story as quickly as possible. 

It would be kind of like saying there's been a recall of a product sold at only one grocery chain - and then not bothering to mention the stores involved. 

November 1, 2021 1:39 pm  #7

CP24 this morning was pretty straight forward.  They said it affected some Bell, Telus and Virgin Mobile customers, and did mention that Bell was the parent company of CP24.  Don't recall if this was on the headlines or not at the bottom of the screen earlier.  Not really surprised that Rogers is making this a bigger deal.  Takes them out of the spotlight for a few hours. 

November 1, 2021 1:43 pm  #8

paterson1 wrote:

CP24 this morning was pretty straight forward.  They said it affected some Bell, Telus and Virgin Mobile customers, and did mention that Bell was the parent company of CP24.  Don't recall if this was on the headlines or not at the bottom of the screen earlier.  Not really surprised that Rogers is making this a bigger deal.  Takes them out of the spotlight for a few hours. 

I think Bell brought this on as they have been going hard against Rogers and their board room drama.  It has never been worthy of headline coverage Bell has been giving it, but because it's against Rogers, I'm sure that is playing a part.   Same goes for this customer mobile time issue, with the table being turned.    

November 1, 2021 2:29 pm  #9

radiokid wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

I think Bell brought this on as they have been going hard against Rogers and their board room drama.  It has never been worthy of headline coverage Bell has been giving it, but because it's against Rogers, I'm sure that is playing a part.   Same goes for this customer mobile time issue, with the table being turned.    

Not so sure about that, the Rogers story has morphed into headline news in the Star, Globe, National Post, CBC, CTV etc.  The Wall Street Journal and BBC have also had stories in the last few days about this epic family battle for a multi billion dollar company.  So it is a big business story that could have a big impact on many thousands maybe millions of people.  Apparently Mayor John Tory has been acting as a mediator between the various camps of the Rogers family. 

November 1, 2021 3:03 pm  #10

I was out walking the dog in the afternoon and heard Tom McConnell on CKTB note that while he wasn't "authorized to say this," he apologized on behalf of Bell to customers that had the wrong time in the morning. He then started joking around about it. Now THAT'S the way you handle it - do a humorous mea culpa on air and move on. Too bad their TV property decided to go another way. 

By the way, there's a real irony in what happened to those affected customers. McConnell pointed out that Nov. 1st is "Prime Meridian Day" around the world. What's that? It marks the occasion when all the global time zones were originally set up. And that's when Bell lost track of time. Honestly, it writes itself!