sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 2, 2021 3:56 pm  #31

Re: Sirius XM Is Changing Its Channels Starting Nov. 3rd

So, I had the 50s channel on for a full hour today, driving home from Sarnia. It was all 50s music. No 60s. no 70s.

They must have fired the gum chewing, twenty-two year old who had been doing the programming for the channel Or maybe they promoted her to the Madonna channel.

Anyway, one hour of that will last me for a while.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

November 2, 2021 5:21 pm  #32

Had sirusXM for free via its app when covid hit and they were offering it.  I never liked it.

If you want streaming music all day Stingray wipes the floor with it and in selection for Canada and its free.

November 2, 2021 5:50 pm  #33

turkeytop wrote:

They must have fired the gum chewing, twenty-two year old who had been doing the programming for the channel Or maybe they promoted her to the Madonna channel.

A 22 year-old would be just as unqualified to program a Madonna channel.

November 3, 2021 11:06 am  #34

The changes are now in effect. Here's an overview of some of them:

New Channel Numbers & New Channels

I called my friend with Dish Network. The channels are on the same places, with the exception of what used to be the 40s channel. It's gone. 50s and 60s Gold are still where they were but with the new branding and jingles. Interestingly, he says the 70s on 7, the 80s on 8 and the 90s on 9 are all still being called that and haven't been changed in any apparent way. 

The Sirius App page no longer allows access to the 60s or 50s stations for some reason, saying the channel is no longer available. It may be that they haven't changed the URL. It still points to "60s on 6" which no longer exists. 

Also, he heard a jock indicate in an email from a caller that his presets had automatically rerouted his 60s station to channel 73, so there was no input from listeners needed. 

November 3, 2021 12:42 pm  #35

A nice overview of exactly what's changed:

Sirius XM’s New Music Spots, and Xmas Moves

November 3, 2021 1:36 pm  #36

The Siriusly  Sinatra channel has moved from CH 71 to CH 70. In its place on 71 is Holiday Traditions.

I like the Holiday Tradition channel at Christmas time, but not when I'm still drinking beer on my patio.

November 3, 2021 2:50 pm  #37

turkeytop wrote:

The Siriusly  Sinatra channel has moved from CH 71 to CH 70. In its place on 71 is Holiday Traditions.

I like the Holiday Tradition channel at Christmas time, but not when I'm still drinking beer on my patio.

What is the purpose of moving a channel instead of simply putting Christmas music on 70 in the first place?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 3, 2021 3:15 pm  #38

They had a channel on 70 they called Yacht Rock. It's gone.

November 3, 2021 4:06 pm  #39

turkeytop wrote:

70 was once the home of the Love channel also. 

November 3, 2021 4:26 pm  #40

Radiowiz wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

I remember that. Usually they would replace it with Yacht Rock over the summer and return it to Love after Labour Day.

November 4, 2021 12:07 am  #41

turkeytop wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

I remember that. Usually they would replace it with Yacht Rock over the summer and return it to Love after Labour Day.

Yacht Rock is still very much alive on ch. 311.    Every summer SiriusXM tosses Love and repeats YachtRockRadio on ch. 70.    Unfortunately, with the latest moves, Love is now only on the app.    Ch. 70 is Sinatra and ch. 71, Holiday Traditions.

There are several fairly new channels added to the SiriusXM app.   Some are live streams and others are just songs you can listen to like a personal playlist within that particular genre.

November 4, 2021 12:39 am  #42

So, is CH 311 a real channel, or just something on a ap?

November 4, 2021 2:27 pm  #43

The new channel sounds fine to me.  It comes up on my pre select where 60's on 6 was.  Has anyone noticed that occasionally Sirius has been chopping songs before they are over?  Heard them cut out of a song early on the weekend (can't remember which channel) but today they did on 70's on 7.  I was groovin (yes groovin) in the car to Al Green's Let's Stay Together, had it cranked and all of a sudden about 45 seconds before the song would even be fading... bang... into America Ventura Highway.  No mix or fade, Al was chopped and into Ventura.  It's not like they have a heavy commercial load or need to time out to anything.  Pretty abrupt sounding and this wasn't the first time I have heard this on Sirius XM. They had an announcer but I am assuming he was pre recorded, so maybe a technical thing.  

November 4, 2021 6:32 pm  #44

With all due respect to the person on the phone, and I mean that   They're full of shit.  Unless you get your own microwave sub-stream the changes will affect you.  It's representative of the demos.  The 50's and 60's audience are sliding over the edge of the cliff.  Got to keep moving forward.

And much like TV channels, most people use presets anyway.  Hell, having said that, I'm so used to talking to my Rogers Ignite box I have NO idea what channels are where anymore..  "ABC", "CBC", "CNN" or whatever is all I need to know.

ig.

Ale Ont wrote:

I am a subscriber so I phoned SiriusXM Canada and was told the changes do not apply to Canada.
I find that hart to believe.  Of course, it is difficult to get any information when phoning corporations.
Try getting info from Rogers or Bell.  We'll get an answer and phone you back, they say.
The trouble is they don't say if or when they'll phone back.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

November 4, 2021 6:54 pm  #45

ig wrote:

It's representative of the demos.  The 50's and 60's audience are sliding over the edge of the cliff.  Got to keep moving forward.
ig.

What a pile of garbage. There's a Fourties channel for gawd sakes!
We're not talking radio we are talking something people pay for.
After thoughts might not die, but there's room to care for them too. 
There is no reason to believe "Nobody wants to hear it"
Otherwise their online only, Road Trip radio would have replaced the 40s channel long before ever considering what to do with 50's and 60's. 

November 4, 2021 7:02 pm  #46

Yes, there is still room for them, they've just been taken off the marquee.

November 4, 2021 7:05 pm  #47

ig wrote:

It's representative of the demos.  The 50's and 60's audience are sliding over the edge of the cliff.  Got to keep moving forward.
ig.

So if there's no longer an audience for those channels, dump them. Don't just keep calling them 50s and 60s while substituting newer music.

November 4, 2021 7:22 pm  #48

turkeytop wrote:

ig wrote:

ig.

So if there's no longer an audience for those channels, dump them. Don't just keep calling them 50s and 60s while substituting newer music.

I don't think Iain (or anyone) suggested that there's "no audience," but rather pointed out that de-emphasizing those channels makes sense. 

November 4, 2021 8:13 pm  #49

RadioAaron wrote:

I don't think Iain (or anyone) suggested that there's "no audience," but rather pointed out that de-emphasizing those channels makes sense. 

So, what would de-emphasizing be like?

November 4, 2021 8:39 pm  #50

paterson1 wrote:

Heard them cut out of a song early on the weekend (can't remember which channel) but today they did on 70's on 7.  I was groovin (yes groovin) in the car to Al Green's Let's Stay Together, had it cranked and all of a sudden about 45 seconds before the song would even be fading... bang... into America Ventura Highway.  No mix or fade, Al was chopped and into Ventura...They had an announcer but I am assuming he was pre recorded, so maybe a technical thing.  

It's interesting to hear that. I was listening to the new 60's Gold at my friend's place the day the changes were made. The jock - who was live, although I didn't catch the name - launched into some classic tune that's long gone out of mind. All of a sudden, part way through, a new song came on and cut off the old one. 

The jock came on afterward to tell the audience something that went like this: "I didn't do that. I'm not sure what happened, but I didn't cut the previous song short! I think the equipment did it by itself! Maybe haunted leftovers from Halloween!"

So whatever you heard, it's happened before. I'm sure they're working on whatever it is, but it wasn't the first time. 

November 6, 2021 12:58 am  #51

So, I rarely listen to the 60s channel and the 50s almost never.

When I play the sixties it when we're driving to Florida. On the last day when we're almost there, just a couple more hours to drive, it just seems right. Now I'll have to learn the new Channel number.

November 6, 2021 10:40 am  #52

Both stations sound about the same as before, and the featured programming (such as the '60s Satellite Survey) is still there.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

November 6, 2021 12:07 pm  #53

This may have already been posted; but if you have the 50s on 5 and the 60s on six locked into your radio, nothing changes.  I got into my car and the 60s on 6 was right there.  Same spot.  The only thing that changed was instead of seeing the channel number as 6 it now says 73.  Nothing for the consumer to change.

November 6, 2021 1:51 pm  #54

Dale Patterson wrote:

Both stations sound about the same as before, and the featured programming (such as the '60s Satellite Survey) is still there.

I don't believe that was ever in doubt. The only thing changing is the channel numbers and I don't see why anyone would care. Why would SXM want to move them?