sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 2, 2016 8:06 pm  #1

CHML 900 Hamilton

I don't live in or even near Hamilton but I spent a few hours today listening to the Roy Green show on CHML 900...

Roy and I tend to agree on a lot of issues...I enjoy his program...he'd like me if he ever met me...

One thing I did notice is the large number of local commercials during his breaks...

The log sounded chock full and the wide variety of local Hamilton businesses advertising was both surprising and healthy ...

No station promos...no public service announcements mixed in as filler...just paying customers getting their message out...spot after spot after spot...

Not the norm in many places so I'm told...it stood out to me because I wasn't familiar with any of the businesses...it was pleasing to hear...

I never thought I'd ever write something like this but here goes...a tip of the hat to the CHML sales department...

Last edited by unclefester (April 2, 2016 8:38 pm)

April 3, 2016 2:44 am  #2

Re: CHML 900 Hamilton

unclefester wrote:

Not the norm in many places so I'm told...it stood out to me because I wasn't familiar with any of the businesses...it was pleasing to hear...
I never thought I'd ever write something like this but here goes...a tip of the hat to the CHML sales department...

Well hey? Why do you think 820 CHAM tried to go all talk instead of Country back in the late 00's? 
Not just because Country on AM was a fading glory, but also because they saw the huge success of CHML and thought they could snatch a bite out of CHML's numbers. 
Maybe they forgot to hire some CHML sales staff? 
Maybe they forgot to steal their PD?
Anything could have gone wrong.
Long story short, 820 Cham could not get any ratings as an all talk station at all. 
They went back to Country for a short while until 94.7 FM went Country, forcing CHAM to try something new.
All comedy radio was their answer.  

CHML is Hamilton's talk leader.
After what hapend to 820 CHAM, I doubt anyone else will ever try to tackle them any time soon.
Heck, TSN can't even get anyone to listen to sports radio in Hamilton...and that's as close as it gets...they DID steal Ti cats from CHML, but CHML won't lose any sleep over it...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.