sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 1, 2016 11:43 am  #1

Corus Canges

Changes at Corus, and I doubt it's an April fool joke.

Mario Cecchini and Christine Shipton are leaving the company as part of leadership changes as the deal to acquire Shaw Media closes today.

Also from today's town hall meeting..

We are very pleased to welcome you to the new Corus.

After many months of planning and imagining, we are now one company and are looking forward to building our future, together.

As we move forward as a newly combined organization, we have a fantastic opportunity to combine our strengths, and define a new shared culture that will lead us to future growth and success.  A culture that clearly differentiates Corus from our competition and creates an environment where our people can do great work, learn and grow, and accomplish what is important to them, both personally and professionally.

For now, we have many practical steps immediately in front of us as we begin to integrate the two organizations, and understand that you have many questions about what that looks like and what it means to you personally.

The immediate priority for our management teams will be to create the right structure and roles needed to strongly position the organization for future growth. We will act as quickly as possible so we can get to a steady state, while making sure we are thoughtful and fair in our decisions.  We expect many of our organizational changes to be completed by the end of our fiscal year, August 31st, and will confirm more targeted timing by business area as our leaders refine their review process.

We know that integrating the two organizations will involve change - new things to learn; new people to work with – and we will all need to support each other through this period. We will continue to share information on the integration process when we have it and will always be open to questions, suggestions and concerns.

Attached is a Q&A document that endeavours to answer some of the initial questions you may have about what’s changing and specifics around go-forward programs and policies.  This Q&A will also be housed on Corus Central and will be updated as new questions come in and new information becomes available.

In the meantime, please do not hesitate to bring any questions or concerns forward to your leader, or to me and the integration team at thenewcorus@corusent.com.

I’m looking forward to getting to know you, supporting you, and making this a truly great place to work - Cheryl

--------------------------------------8<-------------------

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

April 1, 2016 1:05 pm  #2

Re: Corus Canges

"Take me to your leader."

Ya right.  Pee up a rope.  There's too much red tape already and I haven't even applied to be mismanaged and fired well before my expiration date.  Creeps.

April 1, 2016 5:00 pm  #3

We expect many of our organizational changes to be completed by the end of our fiscal year, August 31st.

Translation: The mass layoffs start now and will come in waves all summer.

New things to learn...

Translation: New things to learn for the cheapest employees. Mainly, everyone else's jobs.

New people to work with...

Translation: Fewer people to work with.

We will all need to support each other through this period.

Translation: Get ready to watch your friends marched out in tears. Those who are left with survivors guilt will need to support each other through this period.

April 2, 2016 6:16 pm  #4

The only "improvement" I see is getting rid of that ridiculously childish "Cornhusk" logo.
As former employees used to say, "They get the corn, we get the husk."

April 2, 2016 10:10 pm  #5

I don't recall a logo that looked like a corn husk.

April 3, 2016 7:36 am  #6

Corus Branding & New Appointees and GMs now looking for workWith the Restructuring, this leaves a list of casualties in management who have been let go; Mario CecchiniChristine Shipton, as well as former GM’s in the Corus Radio Divisions, Mark Dickie (Ottawa), Dave McCutcheon (Peterborough, Kingston, Oshawa), Garry McKenzie (Calgary) and Scott Armstrong(Winnipeg)……=smallPRESS RELEASE FROM CNW GROUPCorus Entertainment Completes Acquisition Of Shaw MediaFriday, April 01, 2016 Corus Entertainment Completes Acquisition of Shaw Media10:05 EDT Friday, April 01, 2016New executive leadership team announced and new corporate brand unveiledTORONTO, April 1, 2016 /CNW/ – Corus Entertainment Inc. (“Corus”) (TSX: CJR.B) announced today that it has completed its previously announced $2.65 billion acquisition (the “Acquisition”) of Shaw Media Inc. (“Shaw Media”).(Photo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20160401/350379LOGO )Shaw Media’s assets consist of 19 specialty channels, including Food Network Canada, HGTV Canada, Slice, Lifetime Canada, HISTORY®, Showcase, National Geographic Canada and BBC Canada; as well as Global’s conventional stations in Vancouver, Okanagan, Edmonton, Calgary, Lethbridge, Saskatoon, Regina, Winnipeg,Toronto, Montreal, Halifax and Saint John.This Acquisition more than doubles Corus’ size, creating a combined portfolio of brands that encompass 45 specialty television services, including leading women and lifestyle, kids, family and general entertainment brands; 15 conventional television channels; 39 radio stations; a global content business; and a growing portfolio of digital assets.“This is a landmark day for us,” said Doug Murphy, President and Chief Executive Officer. “As a combined company, we are creating an integrated media and content powerhouse that gives us the competitive scale to grow both domestically and globally. With our strong media brands, compelling content and talented team, this transformational acquisition marks a new beginning that builds on our strengths and positions us well for future growth.”Today, Corus also unveiled a redesigned corporate brand, reflective of the bigger, bolder combined company and its promising future.“The redesigned Corus logo represents the start of a new chapter for us. It’s a powerful visual cue that the new Corus has arrived,” said Mr. Murphy.

April 3, 2016 8:35 am  #7

Prod Guy wrote:

I don't recall a logo that looked like a corn husk

Lyndsey Vanstone's 3-legged racoon is currently sleeping on it

April 3, 2016 8:55 am  #8

Dismissals/Terminations/Layoffs/Insert-your-favourite-term-here on a Friday?

Always thought corporate policy avoided certain days of the week due to some kind of psychological reasons.

April 3, 2016 9:33 am  #9

Friday 'restructuring' is not uncommon at Corus and the other corporations I suspect. 

Here's the previous logo. I don't see a corn husk but it's all in the eye of the beholder I guess

April 6, 2016 10:31 am  #10

All of Corus' new properties still blast the Shaw Media trademark on their website. Not sure what they're waiting for.

April 6, 2016 11:31 am  #11

The "U" in Corus is clearly a "lucky" horseshoe - surprised that people did not see that - or maybe I need a new pair of reading glasses.

April 7, 2016 10:29 am  #12

From Broadcast Dialogue:

Corus has eliminated a number of senior radio positions. Among them Mario Cecchini, President of Radio and Corus Média in Quebec; Mark Dickie, GM at Corus Radio Ottawa/Cornwall; Scott Armstrong, GM at Corus Winnipeg; Dave McCutcheon, Regional GM (Radio & TV Peterborough, Kingston, Oshawa); and
Garry McKenzie VP/GM Calgary/Edmonton.