sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 1, 2016 11:07 am  #1

RB Ups The Ante With Some Prominent New Additions

I'm not always the biggest fan of everything that CFRB does, but I have to give Brandmeister Bendixen credit - he certainly knows how to up the wattage when it comes to prominent hires. The latest examples - rehiring John Tory to co-host the Early Edition with Robert Turner, taking the retired Dave Agar's place. I'm not entirely sure how the other stations will react to this statement made in an RB online story:

"Tory plans to make mayoral announcements between 5-530 a.m., something he says will make it easier for other media outlets to follow."

So wait a second - the mayor of all the people gets to give exclusives that benefits a single radio station and expects the rest of the media to trail those bread crumbs? I don't think that's entirely fair and I suspect if that happens on a regular basis, it won't go over all that well.

The other new addition is Tim Hudak, the former leader of Ontario's Progressive Conservatives. After blowing the election big time, he's being given another chance to have his input heard with an hour long show that will air Sundays at 5 PM. I heard Hudak on CKTB Friday morning being asked if he's planning to leave politics. His answer was the usual," as long as I enjoy it" type of thing, but you have to wonder if this isn't the proverbial one door opening as the other closes.

Either way, these are both big wins for RB promotion-wise if nothing else, and their competitors can't be happy about it.  

Last edited by RadioActive (April 1, 2016 1:26 pm)

April 1, 2016 11:16 am  #2

Re: RB Ups The Ante With Some Prominent New Additions

If he's giving out information on-air, it's no different than carrying his press conference from City hall.  It's just happening earlier and the other stations don't need to show up.  Though the cameras in the studio will definately give CP24 and CTV a bit of an edge maybe.

RadioActive wrote:

So wait a second - the mayor of all the people gets to give exclusives that benefits a single radio station and expects the rest of the media to trail those bread crumbs? I don't think that's entirely fair and I suspect if that happens on a regular basis, it won't go over all that well.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

April 1, 2016 11:18 am  #3

I continue to be amazed at the way John Tory functions without sleep.

Good Lord...the rubber chicken circuit in the evenings and 1010 at 5:00 a.m.

April 1, 2016 1:24 pm  #4

ig wrote:

If he's giving out information on-air, it's no different than carrying his press conference from City hall.  It's just happening earlier and the other stations don't need to show up.  Though the cameras in the studio will definately give CP24 and CTV a bit of an edge maybe. 

With respect to our illustrious moderator, I disagree. If the mayor of the city has a huge announcement to make - like, say, we've found funding for the downtown relief line and shovels will go in the ground next week - that's a headline that everyone should get at once via a press release or a press conference.

It should NOT be a CFRB exclusive every morning, and oh by the way, the rest of you can now play catch up. It's one thing if an intrepid 1010 reporter digs this up before the news is revealed. It's quite another to give RB the platform to act as the press release service - with the added bonus that they have it first. I give them kudos for putting themselves in this situation. But that doesn't make it right that everyone else is forced to play second fiddle with a public resource.

April 1, 2016 1:42 pm  #5

Pssst RadioActive.... today is April 1st.

Bendixen loves his annual April Fools' jokes.

April 1, 2016 2:47 pm  #6

Tory and Hudak...The guy who replaced a train wreck of an imbecile/idiot as mayor of a REAL LIVE Canadian city....Anybody can do THAT....and the biggest conservative loser in the history of Ontario politics.  If only it were true.

Come
Find
Real
Buffoons

Two twits if ever there were two to choose from.

Last edited by Old Codger (April 1, 2016 2:48 pm)