sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 23, 2021 8:32 pm  #1

CKTB Loses IceDogs Hockey Broadcasts

Not a big deal to many of us, but the OHL hockey team had been a big part of the 610 line-up for many years. Now the games are moving to FM in Niagara, which means stopping the music for a few hours on the Giant. 

Niagara IceDogs ink radio deal for OHL season

September 23, 2021 8:50 pm  #2

Re: CKTB Loses IceDogs Hockey Broadcasts

...and also Country89. Interesting that the release says they'll be on both. I wonder if the broadcasts are split between the stations or if they'll all be on both.

Last edited by RadioAaron (September 23, 2021 8:51 pm)

September 23, 2021 9:13 pm  #3

A lot of airtime for a hockey team that isn't an NHL franchise.

So the OHL IceDogs are now on Welland stations.

Does any Toronto radio station do regular and complete play-by-play of the AHL Marlies season? Or do the Leafs get all the glory?

Excuse my ignorance on this, but I honestly don't follow them so I confess I don't know.

September 23, 2021 11:10 pm  #4

Bell is not some little guy & radio is a business.
Either big bucks were spent for rights elsewhere or Bell no longer saw benefit in coverage. 

I'm guessing Bell saw more profit discontinuing as much investment in CKTB as possible. 
Where hockey once aired, I highly suspect that CKTB will now simply be a CFRB repeater. 
Costs nothing to run, still makes money. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 23, 2021 11:20 pm  #5

It makes sense for a little station.  You get a nice little ratings bump compared to your evening voice tracks and you hope those new listeners will hang around after hearing your station.  For a big station you're just sending 90 percent of your already established large audience elsewhere for three hours.

September 24, 2021 8:14 pm  #6

Radiowiz wrote:

Bell is not some little guy & radio is a business.
Either big bucks were spent for rights elsewhere or Bell no longer saw benefit in coverage. 

I'm guessing Bell saw more profit discontinuing as much investment in CKTB as possible. 
Where hockey once aired, I highly suspect that CKTB will now simply be a CFRB repeater. 
Costs nothing to run, still makes money. 

Actually, it usually works the other way around with these small leagues. The team buys the airtime and sells their own sponsorships and advertisements. There's no way a team that small would make a station enough money to warrant "buying rights" for the games. AHL probably yes, smaller leagues and OHL probably not. 

September 24, 2021 8:22 pm  #7

I have never paid attention to the OHL.