sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 18, 2021 9:36 pm  #1

Ashby's Oldies Show: Is It Just My Imagination Or...

...Does someone on that show really, really, really like both Jack Scott and Paul Anka? If memory serves, I think I've heard the former almost every single week since the program debuted. (I never knew he had so many records all those years.) He turned up again this week.

And Anka also seems to get played constantly, either performing his own song or from something he's written for another artist. Hey, I get it, they're easy Canadian content and there's lots of choice, but how about NOT playing them for just one or two weeks and giving them a rest? (I have to confess neither are my favourites, so not hearing them on occasion would be a real treat.)

September 19, 2021 1:55 pm  #2

Re: Ashby's Oldies Show: Is It Just My Imagination Or...

Paul Anka notwithstanding, I think Ashby does a good job of managing Can-Con. I've heard many tunes that have fallen off the radar, like "Dublin in the Green" by The Abbey Tavern Singers and "Enchanted Island" by the Four Lads (which I requested). As for Paul Anka, I'm not personally a big fan of his music, but he does have a major following. But hey Geo, if you want to here more vintage rock 'n roll on Ashby's show, just call and make a request.

If you want to hear some really deep oldies, including some regional hits, check out the Aircheck of the Week!

http://rockradioscrapbook.ca

Last edited by Dale Patterson (September 19, 2021 2:01 pm)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

September 19, 2021 4:31 pm  #3

=12px>> Fans of the Abbey Tavern Singers and/or the Four Lads are unlikely to become comfortable with vintage Ronnie Hawkins @ this stage of the game

Not really. I'm a big fan of both the wonderful vocal style of the Four Lads and the hard-driving rock 'n roll of Ronnie Hawkins. It's possible to have diverse musical interests, as I and many others do. As for the Abbey Tavern Singers, I just like hearing songs that were hits in their day but never get played any more. That to me is the real charm of Ashby's show - digging deep to find songs you may have forgotten about. If you don't like it, don't listen.

Last edited by Dale Patterson (September 19, 2021 10:26 pm)

September 19, 2021 4:51 pm  #4

Dale Patterson wrote:

=12px>> Fans of the Abbey Tavern Singers and/or the Four Lads are unlikely to become comfortable with vintage Ronnie Hawkins @ this stage of the game

Not really. I'm a big fan of both the wonderful vocal style of the Four Lads and the hard-driving rock 'n roll of Ronnie Hawkins. It's possible to have diverse musical interests, as I as many others do. As for the Abbey Tavern Singers, I just like hearing songs that were hits in their day but never get played any more. That to me is the real charm of Ashby's show - digging deep to find songs you may have forgotten about. If you don't like it, don't listen.

Which, of course, leads to the shameless plug of Dale's "Oh Wow! The Songs Radio Forgot," an online station that boasts it plays "None of the hits, All of the time." 

It features tunes that were hits but never seem to get played anymore. Worth a listen if you're into songs you haven't heard in a long time. 

Oh Wow! The Songs Radio Forgot

September 19, 2021 7:39 pm  #5

Jack Scott.  Paul Anka.  Can-Con.

September 20, 2021 7:18 am  #6

Roger plays pretty much the full gamut of what was on top 40 during the era up to the mid 1970's. He sometimes gets requests for songs that did not make the charts or at least the top 40 and plays them.

His feature "The Roots of Rock" features tunes that have not been heard on commercial radio for years. That particular feature reminds me of the days of free form radio when pre-1954 Blues, Jazz and classical were a part of my musical education.

Aside from DX'ing and making recordings for posterity I only listen to the radio in the car and his show is pretty much the only local music option that I tune into regularly.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

September 20, 2021 9:12 am  #7

An interesting but completely useless observation about listening to this show in this area and it centres on the Evanov stations which broadcast it. Both CKDX (88.5) and CKPC (92.1) run the show at the same time on Saturday afternoon at 4 PM. 

88.5 usually starts it earlier than its Brantford counterpart by a few minutes. But as the show goes on, CKPC eventually ends up ahead, often by one or two different songs. Why? It's the traffic updates at the start of every break. CKDX has them. CKPC doesn't. So the show gains a few extra minutes as it goes along, meaning Brantford starts late but ends up ahead of Newmarket. 

Again, totally useless info, but if you missed something while listening to it on CKPC or want to listen to it again, you can hear the immediate replay on CKDX. 

September 20, 2021 11:46 am  #8

Fitz wrote:

Roger plays pretty much the full gamut of what was on top 40 during the era up to the mid 1970's. He sometimes gets requests for songs that did not make the charts or at least the top 40 and plays them.

His feature "The Roots of Rock" features tunes that have not been heard on commercial radio for years. That particular feature reminds me of the days of free form radio when pre-1954 Blues, Jazz and classical were a part of my musical education.

Aside from DX'ing and making recordings for posterity I only listen to the radio in the car and his show is pretty much the only local music option that I tune into regularly.

I should add three other shows available locally that sound good but are rarely on when I am in the car. The Gumbo Kitchen and Bluz FM with Danny Marks on Jazz FM are quite eclectic and remind of of the old CHUM FM at times. Also Little Steven's Underground Garage is still on 97 Rock and I like the garage and power pop played on the show and rarely heard anywhere else currently.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

September 20, 2021 2:18 pm  #9

should i do a shameless plug now, geo?

September 20, 2021 3:16 pm  #10

geo, i hung out with bobby bare (for an hour or so), before mc'ing for him. i introduced him to my uncle (they both shared a mutual friend... albeit not close) by the name of hank snow (hank dropped by my uncle's home in montreal). all american boy will be played. i'll also throw in one by "the hawk" as well... since i had the pleasure of chatting with him, for a couple of hours, leroy by the pride of windsor will also be played. 3 requests... not bad, geo. wed noon, on www.blasttheradio.com. a few sowny members are no strangers to the show.
damn, all this name dropping is hurting my back!

Last edited by the original hank (September 20, 2021 4:51 pm)

September 20, 2021 3:36 pm  #11

Geo, you forgot Paul Anka! (Sometimes I wish I could!)

September 20, 2021 4:56 pm  #12

a few nights ago, we watched him (a 22 year old Paul ) on old re-runs of password (alan ludden et al). paul was a good player and the teeny boppers in the audience sounded like they wanted to "play" with him as well. this was years after his first hit, so maybe the girls screamed on cue.

Last edited by the original hank (September 20, 2021 5:13 pm)

September 22, 2021 11:54 am  #13

the show starts at noon today (geo's requests et al)! http://www.blastthertadio.com

September 22, 2021 6:48 pm  #14

Fitz wrote:

Fitz wrote:

I should add three other shows available locally that sound good but are rarely on when I am in the car. The Gumbo Kitchen and Bluz FM with Danny Marks on Jazz FM are quite eclectic and remind of of the old CHUM FM at times. Also Little Steven's Underground Garage is still on 97 Rock and I like the garage and power pop played on the show and rarely heard anywhere else currently.

Shameless plus for my two shows on Northumberland 89.7 - "Forgotten '45s" every Monday from 1-4 p.m. and "Sweet Seasons" on Friday from 10 a.m.-noon.

"Forgotten '45s" plays a wide variety of pop music from 1955 (or before) to the early '80s, with a focus on lesser-played tunes. There's a Theme of the Week (this past week it was "Vocal Versions of Classic Instrumentals") and we have mini-themes like "B Sides That Shudda Been A Sides", "NOT in the Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame", the "Classic Country Corner" and "The Answer Song of the Week."

"Sweet Seasons" has the hits and happenings of a particular season. This week we're going back to the early fall of 1969, with a look at the TV listings, films, news events and sports from that time. Every week is a different year, and we also play a portion of an aircheck to match the time of year we're featuring.

Be there AND be square!

http://northumberland897.ca

Last edited by Dale Patterson (September 22, 2021 6:51 pm)

September 23, 2021 9:37 am  #15

i guess we have something in common,  besides oldies. my show, on northumberlad 89.7 is "country outlaws and alternatives with your ole pal rusty" (mondays at 9:00pm). next month marks its 7'th year.

Last edited by the original hank (September 23, 2021 9:37 am)

September 23, 2021 4:16 pm  #16

the original hank wrote:

i guess we have something in common,  besides oldies. my show, on northumberlad 89.7 is "country outlaws and alternatives with your ole pal rusty" (mondays at 9:00pm). next month marks its 7'th year.

That sounds familiar!