sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 17, 2021 6:44 pm  #1

TV Audio Downgraded from Dolby 5.1 to Old Style Dolby Pro Logic

Hollywood Suite on cable (a Jay Switzer idea) shows many, but not all movies with Dolby 3.1/Pro Logic instead of Dolby 5.1 or DTS.   The audio sucks!   

Recently I upgraded to a Rogers 4k NextBox (I love trailing edge) for $20 a month and I'm getting free 4k programming.  It's great content, except that the audio is Dolby 3.1/Pro Logic!   Old technology that sounds like shit compared to normal OTA / cable which is Dolby 5.1 digital! 

Why do they do this?        They did the same with Hollywood Suite movies!   

My theory is that it's a bad marketing ploy!       Hold back the good stuff!  Yeah right.

September 17, 2021 6:57 pm  #2

Re: TV Audio Downgraded from Dolby 5.1 to Old Style Dolby Pro Logic

I preferred Sony's SDDS technology. They never adapted it to other media though.

September 17, 2021 7:07 pm  #3

Re: TV Audio Downgraded from Dolby 5.1 to Old Style Dolby Pro Logic

Chrisphen wrote:

I preferred Sony's SDDS technology. They never adapted it to other media though.

I won't delve that far.   My Yamaha RX-V800 is from 2002.   Does a great job and has a great "crap detector".   So when the audio is 1980's style Dolby 3.1 Surround when it should be Dolby Digital, I get it!    Heck, even old Law & Order episodes from 2005 are in Dolby 5.1!   So, I'm confident that something is going on behind the scene to have crappy audio.   I have no idea why.

Last edited by SpinningWheel (September 17, 2021 7:09 pm)