sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 17, 2021 4:13 pm  #1

Jim Hughson gone from Hockey Night in Canada?

506 sports resent a tweet from yyzsportsmedia that Jim Hughson will not be calling games on Hockey Night.  He was the main play-by-play guy for years.

September 17, 2021 4:38 pm  #2

Re: Jim Hughson gone from Hockey Night in Canada?

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/jim-hughson-not-calling-playoff-games-hockey-night-in-canada

Question -- is this an old story? Past playoffs or forthcoming?

Last edited by mike marshall (September 17, 2021 4:48 pm)

September 17, 2021 4:43 pm  #3

Ale Ont wrote:

506 sports resent a tweet from yyzsportsmedia that Jim Hughson will not be calling games on Hockey Night.  He was the main play-by-play guy for years.

Hughson only did Canuck games last year as he wouldn't travel due to Covid.

I much prefer Chris Cuthbert anyways as I've always found Hughson competent but oh so boring. 

September 21, 2021 2:16 pm  #4

Per Sportsnet, Jim Hughson is retiring from broadcasting
https://twitter.com/SportsnetPR/status/1440360287375220746

September 22, 2021 12:05 am  #5

It will be interesting to see who emerges as the #2 play-by-play voice.  Cuthbert was going to be well suited in the spot if Jim had continued, but with CC in the lead spot now, I'm not sure who the front runner is.  
Harnarayan Singh just doesn't seem strong enough yet to be calling games on a national level yet.  Randorf or like him or not Romaniuk would have been good fits, but they're not an option any more.

My guess is they use Cuthbert mostly on the Toronto 7pm game, Bartlett & Singh on the other games in the early window and use the "western guys" (Shorthouse/Ball) at 10 

Unless there's another defection in the works...

September 22, 2021 10:04 am  #6

I Used Carts wrote:

It will be interesting to see who emerges as the #2 play-by-play voice.  Cuthbert was going to be well suited in the spot if Jim had continued, but with CC in the lead spot now, I'm not sure who the front runner is.  
Harnarayan Singh just doesn't seem strong enough yet to be calling games on a national level yet.  Randorf or like him or not Romaniuk would have been good fits, but they're not an option any more.

My guess is they use Cuthbert mostly on the Toronto 7pm game, Bartlett & Singh on the other games in the early window and use the "western guys" (Shorthouse/Ball) at 10 

There's always the Joe "Holy Mackinaw" Bowen option .. nothing wrong with an announcer actually having fun!

September 22, 2021 12:24 pm  #7

g121 wrote:

I Used Carts wrote:

There's always the Joe "Holy Mackinaw" Bowen option .. nothing wrong with an announcer actually having fun!

He isn’t the same caliber as a number one Hockey Night in Canada announcer. As a hometown radio cheerleader he does a great job.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (September 22, 2021 12:30 pm)