sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 30, 2016 5:31 pm  #1

other than D. Patterson, O. Codger, Unc' Fester and myself . . .

. . . there likely aren't many still alive here who listen to AM 740 but it should be noted that a programming change occurred Monday.     "Top 10 at 10:00" is now followed by "The Next 11 at 11:00".   

That's right folks, instead of completing the hour between 10:45 and 11:00 with Anne Murray, Gord Lightfoot and that Anka fellow, AM 740s hardworking Music Director is now required to catch up on the CanCon requirement after the 21st tune.   Could the real reason AM 740 has moved well into the 70s & 80s be because it was difficult if not impossible to do a 1-hour show from the pre Pierre Juneau era, let alone two hours, without the studio being stormed by the CanCon Police?

Hats off to Brian Peroff for attempting the impossible            

March 30, 2016 5:51 pm  #2

Re: other than D. Patterson, O. Codger, Unc' Fester and myself . . .

I listened to the 10 and 11 o'clock hours  this morning...1966 top ten at 10...

Perked right up and put the big old Telefunken tuber on for the Mrs. who was playing Candy Crush on her computer ...

I said to her...."listen to this"......and away we went...

Then I said to her...."I don't want to hurt your feelings or anything  but do you realise this songs are 50 F**king years old...??"

That comment went over big...

Still in all it was very enjoyable....I'll be back tomorrow morning...

I'm just the demographic they're after right ??

Last edited by unclefester (March 30, 2016 7:24 pm)

March 30, 2016 8:50 pm  #3

geo wrote:

. . . there likely aren't many still alive here who listen to AM 740 but it should be noted that a programming change occurred Monday.     "Top 10 at 10:00" is now followed by "The Next 11 at 11:00".   

That's right folks, instead of completing the hour between 10:45 and 11:00 with Anne Murray, Gord Lightfoot and that Anka fellow, AM 740s hardworking Music Director is now required to catch up on the CanCon requirement after the 21st tune.   Could the real reason AM 740 has moved well into the 70s & 80s be because it was difficult if not impossible to do a 1-hour show from the pre Pierre Juneau era, let alone two hours, without the studio being stormed by the CanCon Police?

Hats off to Brian Peroff for attempting the impossible            

I don't listen to it. Haven't in years. Don't include me in that subject line.

Last edited by Dale Patterson (March 30, 2016 8:50 pm)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

March 30, 2016 8:57 pm  #4

>> Could the real reason AM 740 has moved well into the 70s & 80s be because it was difficult if not impossible to do a 1-hour show from the pre Pierre Juneau era, let alone two hours, without the studio being stormed by the CanCon Police?

No. They're after the younger demo. They had no problems filling their Can-Con requirements when they were a standards-based station.

>> Hats off to Brian Peroff for attempting the impossible.

Peroff isn't music director. Neil Hedley is.

March 30, 2016 9:32 pm  #5

Dale Patterson wrote:

They're after the younger demo. 

What? 76 instead of 83? lol 
Compare this station: http://www.ckdo.ca/
to AM 740, then tell me they're still after the younger demo.

AM 740 is a standards station first and god only knows what after that.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 30, 2016 10:06 pm  #6

Dale Patterson wrote:

geo wrote:

Don't include me in that subject line.

Ya' me too  now that I think about it..... I don't want to be included in any sentence that includes the term  "old codger"...

March 30, 2016 10:21 pm  #7

Nice.  Run away from the Old Codger...but... ... ...

I don't listen either.  Haven't for probably 10 years...and even then it was only very, VERY infrequently.  My wife USED to listen to it in the car 'til the kids wore that notion out by always calling it "AM 7 Bored Me."

I'm not a Moses fan.  Never have been.  But HE is most certainly an extra huge  Moses fan isn't he?

Good for him.

March 30, 2016 10:26 pm  #8

Radiowiz wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

They're after the younger demo. 

What? 76 instead of 83? lol 
Compare this station: http://www.ckdo.ca/
to AM 740, then tell me they're still after the younger demo.

AM 740 is a standards station first and god only knows what after that.

Then why are they playing '70s and '80s music? Standards are '40s and '50s which hasn't formed the core of their playlist since the 1250 days.

March 31, 2016 4:00 am  #9

How on earth do reports circulate about AM 740s core playlist + personnel changes if no one listens? 

March 31, 2016 4:14 am  #10

Dale Patterson wrote:

Then why are they playing '70s and '80s music? Standards are '40s and '50s which hasn't formed the core of their playlist since the 1250 days.

Sounds like modern standards to me. ( http://www.zoomerradio.ca/what-was-that-song/ )
Again, as I've said, compare their music to 1580's music...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 31, 2016 8:22 am  #11

Radiowiz wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

Sounds like modern standards to me. ( http://www.zoomerradio.ca/what-was-that-song/ )
Again, as I've said, compare their music to 1580's music...

Of course they're different. CKDO is targeting 40 or 50 somethings, while AM 740 aims slightly higher, 50- or 60-year olds or Zoomers as they call them. But neither is targeting 70- or 80-year olds.

March 31, 2016 9:53 am  #12

Dale Patterson wrote:

neither is targeting 70- or 80-year olds

Except for AM 740s Frank Sinatra segments

March 31, 2016 1:22 pm  #13

Ms. C. wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

neither is targeting 70- or 80-year olds

Except for AM 740s Frank Sinatra segments

Not true. People of all ages like the Chairman. The only AM 740 show that appears to target the '70s and '80s demo is Big Band Sunday Night, which is really the last vestige of the station's 1250 heritage.

March 31, 2016 7:28 pm  #14

While we have the attention of you old-timers, can you think of anyone on TV than that Alexanian woman who could use professional presentation to get her message (whatever it is) across? 

March 31, 2016 8:34 pm  #15

You mean Shelley Alexanian....I don't mind her....

Christine MaGee from Sleep Country another gal selling the company goods...

I always thought  Ms. MaGee came across pretty polished on radio...slightly  less so on the tube...

Last edited by unclefester (March 31, 2016 8:35 pm)

March 31, 2016 10:41 pm  #16

Shelley And Christine both do a fine job.  At least they're real, honest to goodness people...and sincere to boot..  That lone arranger dink and ol' Mel?  Now THOSE 2 need a mess of help...and then some.  They have always sucked...HUGE time.  Why we're singling out 'hers' seems, at the very least, kind of odd.