sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 8, 2021 10:10 pm  #1

Will Toronto Radio Hosts Get Sept. 30th Off?

The feds created a National Day for Truth and Reconciliation on Sept. 30th, but left it up to individual provinces as to whether it would be a full day off for everyone. Queen's Park has decided not to make it a stat - which means it will only give those regulated under federal law any time off. 

That includes the usual suspects - banks, government offices and the like. But what about radio, which falls under the feds? 

I'm guessing John Moore will be on NT1010 that Thursday, as will the hosts at most stations. If most regular people are working, Toronto radio staffs will have to treat it like an ordinary work day as well, while taking on air notice of the significance of the new holiday. But I suppose if they wanted to make a - you should pardon the expression - federal case out of it, some of the veteran on-air types could demand it off. More importantly, will anyone get paid overtime for working an official government holiday? 

In the end, I'm convinced most will treat it like Remembrance Day, another federal holiday, when stations take a pause for the ceremonies at 11 AM, but then return to regular programming. 

On the other hand, I would expect some kind of special events on Elmnt FM, the Indigenous station at 106.5 and on CBC Radio 1. We'll see what they do on that day. 

Ford government says new Sept. 30 federal holiday will not be a stat holiday in Ontario

September 8, 2021 10:36 pm  #2

Re: Will Toronto Radio Hosts Get Sept. 30th Off?

Is Sept. 30 spilling into any ratings run? If so, then ABSOLUTELY NO! 
There is a strict rule that if it's ratings season, everyone MUST be in their usual timeslot. NO EXCUSES. 
(unless one falls ill)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.