sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 30, 2021 11:37 am  #1

Bell Saves Money By Consolidating Virgin Radio Shows

They sell it like the shows are exciting, and maybe they are, but it appears it's one host for multiple stations, saving them beacoup de bucks. 

Virgin Radio Stations Across the Country Reveal New Shows

August 30, 2021 12:06 pm  #2

Re: Bell Saves Money By Consolidating Virgin Radio Shows

Doesnt sound exciting.  For the format they run, I would do more of a saturday live mix thing that was almost back in the day type of thing now.   CHUM I tuned into once on a saturday night and they were somewhat doing this and virgin was just having their computer run playing the same todays hits.   CHUM at the end of the day is "more exciting" .

August 30, 2021 4:34 pm  #3

Several months ago I started hearing morning traffic for Kitchener-Waterloo on London's Virgin 97.5. I learned that they were (and still are) simulcasting the London morning show in K-W on 105.3, presumably to save a few bucks. Then the mid-day show is voice tracked by one half of the former Kitchener morning show on each station... so aside from the local frequency there isn't much local anymore. 

August 30, 2021 9:39 pm  #4

torontostan wrote:

zed wrote:

Several months ago I started hearing morning traffic for Kitchener-Waterloo on London's Virgin 97.5. I learned that they were (and still are) simulcasting the London morning show in K-W on 105.3, presumably to save a few bucks. Then the mid-day show is voice tracked by one half of the former Kitchener morning show on each station... so aside from the local frequency there isn't much local anymore. 

Based off this press release the only local local shift left on CFCA is 2:00-7:00 PM

This is interesting because their main competitor 91.5 The Beat is usually live and local.  The Beat has always had good morning shows and were into the CHR/Top 40 format years before KOOL became Virgin Radio in the summer of 2016. 
The Beat doesn't have all of the TV promo that CTV gives Virgin/Bounce locally.  Ratings wise The Beat usually bests Virgin central market, but CFCA has a much bigger coverage area overall with a stronger signal.  Last rating the Beat had a 4.3 share compared to 3.5 for Virgin 105.3. 

August 30, 2021 10:35 pm  #5

Most Requested Live has abysmal ratings in the US.  That bumps Toronto's DJ Starting From Scratch to the midnight to 3 am slot.  I have a feeling those two shows will flip flop in less than a year.