sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 28, 2021 9:13 pm  #1

Blue Jays viewers cheated with half a crew at home games, half at home

From the Toronto Star. Can't say I disagree with him. 

Blue Jays viewers being cheated with half a crew at home games, half a crew at home

August 28, 2021 10:17 pm  #2

Re: Blue Jays viewers cheated with half a crew at home games, half at home

RadioActive wrote:

From the Toronto Star. Can't say I disagree with him. 

Blue Jays viewers being cheated with half a crew at home games, half a crew at home

Either do I. 

You see all too often examples where It is obvious that Buck thinks that a ball has a chance to be a home run,  where the crowd's reaction (and the camera angle available to the viewers) indicates the opposite.  He has actually commented after a called out,  about the disadvantage of calling a game off a monitor.  Apparently,  he and Tabler only get a single channel and cannot access the different live camera feeds as the ball is in play;  like the Rogers Centre and studio crews can. 

Last edited by Media Observer (August 30, 2021 7:09 pm)

August 29, 2021 8:05 am  #3

Cheated? Yes. Surprised, by Rogers? No.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

August 29, 2021 12:58 pm  #4

Leslieville Bill wrote:

Cheated? Yes. Surprised, by Rogers? No.

👍

August 29, 2021 1:43 pm  #5

Sonuva Bichette

August 29, 2021 4:40 pm  #6

geo wrote:

Sonuva Bichette

August 30, 2021 7:04 pm  #7

Tabler is back at the Rogers Centre with Dan Shulman, for tonight's game.

Last edited by Media Observer (August 30, 2021 7:08 pm)

August 30, 2021 10:38 pm  #8

Buck is rumored to be an anti-vaxer.

August 31, 2021 11:59 pm  #9

Tomas Barlow wrote:

Buck is rumored to be an anti-vaxer.

I’ve heard that too. Mark Hebscher mentioned to Toronto Mike recently that Buck was unvaccinated, and I would think Hebsy is in the know on this stuff.

That would also explain why Buck isn’t in Canada, if true.

September 1, 2021 8:19 am  #10

So Buck may not be allowed into Canada for a long time. Maybe it's time the Blue Jays/ Rogers get a new full time play by play guy. Dan Shulman is far superior to Buck (IMHO) and I know he has ESPN responsibilities so perhaps can't take on the job full time. I for one wouldn't miss Buck and his tired drawled out expressions.   

September 1, 2021 8:58 am  #11

I understand the knee jerk anti-Rogers sentiment. Lord knows I have had my fair share of issues with them. This though is mindless bitching without really giving any thought to the fact there's a pandemic going on. Buck is not my favourite baseball announcer but he's been a major part of the Blue Jays since the 80s. He's 72 and doesn't want to travel during Covid. What's wrong with that? Seems to me he's a lot smarter than a lot of Floridians just for that. Add to that the fact that crossing the border now is a large pain, I'm perfectly fine with his and Rogers decision. As for the "rumour" that he's an anti-vaxxer? It's a rumour.And the nitpicking about the integrity of the broadcast is ridiculous. 
I like Dan Shulman a lot but the "rumour" is he doesn't want to be the Jays full-time announcer. 
There's another aspect to this that I frankly find pretty humorous on this site. Over the last year and a half, an awful lot of us have been doing things from home. Studio visits are few and far between although it's starting to change. 
I guess what I'm saying is it's fine to be anti-Rogers. They deserve the negative reaction most of the time. This though is nothing more than whining. 

September 1, 2021 9:14 am  #12

Why don't they just combine Rogers Media and Buck Martinez and call it "Buck Rogers?"

September 1, 2021 7:00 pm  #13

Rune wrote:

I understand the knee jerk anti-Rogers sentiment. Lord knows I have had my fair share of issues with them. This though is mindless bitching without really giving any thought to the fact there's a pandemic going on. Buck is not my favourite baseball announcer but he's been a major part of the Blue Jays since the 80s. He's 72 and doesn't want to travel during Covid. What's wrong with that? Seems to me he's a lot smarter than a lot of Floridians just for that. Add to that the fact that crossing the border now is a large pain, I'm perfectly fine with his and Rogers decision. As for the "rumour" that he's an anti-vaxxer? It's a rumour.And the nitpicking about the integrity of the broadcast is ridiculous. 
I like Dan Shulman a lot but the "rumour" is he doesn't want to be the Jays full-time announcer. 
There's another aspect to this that I frankly find pretty humorous on this site. Over the last year and a half, an awful lot of us have been doing things from home. Studio visits are few and far between although it's starting to change. 
I guess what I'm saying is it's fine to be anti-Rogers. They deserve the negative reaction most of the time. This though is nothing more than whining. 

Good points Rune.  It is fine to be critical of Rogers and their broadcast coverage of the Jays games, however there has been a real lack of the whole story in a lot of the complaints here on SOWNY.  There has been almost no acknowledgment of the ongoing pandemic, the border and how this impacts the Jays, their owners and broadcasts.  All of this is more complicated for them and really had nothing to do with Rogers "being cheap" or some of the other complaints that have been lumped in to the "we hate Rogers" fray.

Since the Jays are the only "foreign" team in professional baseball, their issues are different than all of the other organizations. The US/Canada border, different protocols  impact them and their broadcasts more than all of the other teams.  The broadcast last night was fine, and whether Buck stays or is looking to wind down his long career with the Jays is up to him and Rogers.  The broadcasts either way will survive alright on both radio and TV. 

September 4, 2021 9:31 am  #14

By the way, there was an interesting story involving John Stirling, the New York Yankess venerable play by play man, and his Spanish language counterpart Ricky Ricardo ( that's his real name). Apparently, the 83 year old Stirling was rescued from his flooding car by Ricardo during the flooding in New York this week after calling a Yankee game. The Yankees were playing the Angels. In California! It seems the Yankees have been doing the same thing as the Blue Jays during the pandemic; broadcasting remotely. 
This story indicates the Yankees, the New York Yankees , aren't sending their broadcast crews on the road during the pandemic. The New York Yankees! But yeah, it's Rogers being cheap. As I have previously noted, there are a lot of very good reasons to dump on Rogers. I am not a fan. However, there's a pandemic going on and we seem to be ignoring that. I'm just grateful that all the major sports have continued to play during it. We've all been sitting in front of our television sets for a year and a half and lord knows it's impacted every one of us, some more than others. What I'm saying is, bitching about Buck missing a fly ball is pretty low on my scale of things to get frustrated about. 

September 5, 2021 3:23 pm  #15

I agree with you Maybe. Radio is completely different and Rogers made a big mistake doing what they did. I was referring to the TV broadcast. Hope you're well!

September 5, 2021 3:24 pm  #16

Maybe...f'in spellcheck

September 5, 2021 3:24 pm  #17

Maybo. 

September 5, 2021 5:56 pm  #18

Questions for you folks who know the technical side of remote broadcasting.  When this situation first developed,  Buck commented that he and Tabler only had a single camera feed;  which restricted their views of the plays.

Given a broadcast outfit the size of Rogers,  is this just another example of the company refusing to spend any more than the bare minimum?  

Could not the same feeds that are provided to the Toronto crews,  also be fed to the remote locations?

While I would like to see Buck back in the studio,  it strikes me that Rogers could have done more regarding the remote setup.  Not a ground breaking issue;  but I've often wondered just why in this day and age,  full video resources would not be made available.

Last edited by Media Observer (September 5, 2021 6:33 pm)

September 15, 2021 1:14 pm  #19

Steve Simmons takes a look at this.  Rogers isn't commenting.

SIMMONS: The mystery of the missing Buck Martinez (outline.com)

Last edited by Media Observer (September 15, 2021 1:21 pm)