sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 17, 2021 3:35 pm  #1

27 Jobs Lost At Bell Media's Queen St. W. Location

Unifor is reporting 27 positions were eliminated Tuesday at Bell Media's 299 Queen St. W. location, the home of CP24 among other outlets. Does anyone know where they took place and who's out? The union appears to be casting the blame at the Tech Giants taking unpaid for content for their own sites and it looks like the newsroom was hit.

It's amazing to me that after what happened earlier this year, Bell has anyone left to get rid of and still maintain any service at all. 

Unifor Press Release: Bell Media cuts show need for level playing field

August 17, 2021 5:21 pm  #2

Re: 27 Jobs Lost At Bell Media's Queen St. W. Location

I wrote Unifor asking for clarification on who got caught in this latest round of layoffs, along with 22 others being reclassified. The answer doesn't exactly explain much, but for what it's worth, here's what Communications Rep. Stuart Laidlaw emailed back when I asked who was caught in the cuts:

"Basically, tech change is driving this as jobs become more automated, resulting in fewer staff and changes to the jobs that remain. That’s where the reclassification comes in. The exact impact on who that involves is part of the ongoing discussion."

Does that mean those who run the websites and IT were among the casualties? Hard to say, but you can interpret that response as you wish.  

August 17, 2021 6:23 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

Does that mean those who run the websites and IT were among the casualties? Hard to say, but you can interpret that response as you wish.  

Does this mean I should expect even MORE text errors in the bottom left corner of CP24?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 18, 2021 10:24 pm  #4

Interesting that there isn't anything on Milkman Unlimited.  He has been blocking people from his social media if anyone says anything negative about advertisers.  Perhaps he has stopped reporting on layoffs by advertisers too.

August 19, 2021 2:23 pm  #5

Could that have been the reason Pooja Handa announced her last day on CP24 Breakfast last week?
Contract not renewed, or shown the door?  Was she one of those who were let go?  
And Michael Landsburg possibly another?  
Bell, let's talk.  No really, let's talk about how you are destroying what was built.

August 19, 2021 11:08 pm  #6

And where is Mika Midolo?  Can't find anything about here missing from CP24 mornings.  As long as they keep George, I'm happy.

Wait.  Pooja's gone???  Yes; but she resigned according to her Twitter account.  On to other things.  She hasn't announced as yet.  

Last edited by John D (August 19, 2021 11:16 pm)