sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 16, 2021 4:17 pm  #1

Tuesday's Jays game on YouTube

The second, and I believe last, time YouTube will be the exclusive telecaster of a Jays game.
If you haven't already, it will be a good time to turn down the TV audio and listen to Ben Wagner do the game.
It is nice to hear his voice and descriptions back on the radio.

August 17, 2021 7:14 pm  #2

Re: Tuesday's Jays game on YouTube

Here's where to find the game:

August 17, 2021 7:22 pm  #3

& Youtube allows you to choose which audio feed you want .. so you can select Jays Ben Wagner calling the game .. way better than the clowns doing the 1st Jays Youtube game.

Last edited by g121 (August 17, 2021 7:24 pm)

August 17, 2021 7:24 pm  #4

Here's how to find each one of them, if you're watching on a desktop or laptop.

1.) In the bottom right of the video player, click Settings
2.) Click Audio track
3.) Click the audio track you want, options will be Primary, Home, and Away.

You can switch between them just to see what the other crews are up to if you're interested. 
A neat little option if you care about such things, although the neurotic in me will never be happy, wondering what the two feeds I can't hear are saying! 

August 17, 2021 8:51 pm  #5

Watching on my laptop and enjoying listening to Wagner call the game.  Also tuned in earlier to the Primary channel to hear Jose Berrios as the Dugout Guest.

Last edited by Media Observer (August 17, 2021 8:54 pm)

August 17, 2021 9:30 pm  #6

A question for those of you who listen to the radio play-by play,  while watching the game on TV.  How bad is the time lag now between the two?  I seem to recall it,  when I used to do this back in the '90s.

I'm asking because tonight I am really enjoying listening to Ben Wagner call the game and am thinking of setting up an old (but decent sounding) Realistic AM/FM radio I have packed away.

August 18, 2021 10:15 am  #7

Media Observer wrote:

A question for those of you who listen to the radio play-by play,  while watching the game on TV.  How bad is the time lag now between the two?  I seem to recall it,  when I used to do this back in the '90s.

I'm asking because tonight I am really enjoying listening to Ben Wagner call the game and am thinking of setting up an old (but decent sounding) Realistic AM/FM radio I have packed away.

Unfortunately, syncing radio and TV broadcasts for sports games isn't as easy as it used to be. Back in the 80's and 90's my father and I would do it all the time and the timing was spot on. But since then, TV has gone digital while radio has remained analog.

This means the TV broadcast is always behind the radio broadcast. And depending on how your cable system delivers the signal, this delay can be anywhere from 4 to 40 seconds, streaming the game on any device would be on that upper end as well.

For many years now, there is has been a company that sells a radio with a built in delay for the proposes of being able to sync radio and TV broadcasts for sports fans (https://www.sportsyncradio.com/). I don't have one but it looks interesting.

For me, I have SiriusXm which gives you access to all major sports broadcasts. Their feed is delayed by a few minutes (for whatever reason). But using that and the PVR feature on the TV, I have been able to sync up the broadcasts that way. It usually takes a few pitches to get it just right but once I've done that, it's wonderful experience.

August 18, 2021 5:38 pm  #8

Thanks for the reply.

I tried the radio (watching the game now) and the delay is about 8 seconds.  Not the end of the world;  but for me a distraction.

While not looking to subscribe right now,  the radio you included in your post is an interesting piece of tech.

Last edited by Media Observer (August 18, 2021 5:39 pm)