sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 29, 2021 9:25 am  #1

What Olympic Commercials do you like

I think the ones from Bell, with the miniature athletes is clever. Also, the Toyota ones are good too.

July 29, 2021 12:14 pm  #2

Re: What Olympic Commercials do you like

andysradio wrote:

I think the ones from Bell, with the miniature athletes is clever. Also, the Toyota ones are good too.

I always like the advertising during the games since the ads are usually well done, and they are new.  The main advertisers also spend more money producing these ads since they will usually only be shown over the two weeks.

All of the main sponsors- Canadian Tire, Bell, Hudson's Bay, Toyota, all have decent ads and have produced quite a few each, so you don't see the same commercials over and over as much.  

Other sponsors like Sobeys, Petro Canada, Air Canada etc. also have pretty good ads.

VISA had some well produced commercials that seem to be running on both CBC and NBC.

Ratings so far have been good, but a bigger chunk is made up from streaming and on services like CBC Gem rather than on the traditional networks. Yesterday CBC announced that so far 50% of Canadians had watched some of the games in the first three days on either CBC or Radio Canada or on one of their platforms.  

So far in my opinion both NBC and CBC are doing a good job.   CBC has more on air people over in Tokyo than I thought they would.  NBC's coverage has improved with more "live" events than in the past.   They don't seem to have as many backgrounder features, which while interesting, were often too long and took up a lot of time.  They have cut these back and are showing more events as they happen which I think is a good thing. 

July 29, 2021 3:34 pm  #3

I agree with the above comments.  My favourite ads are the Petro-Canada spots featuring coaches -- people who don't get enough recognition.

July 31, 2021 9:27 am  #4

Watching this morning, noticed that NBC was playing water polo, US and Hungary, which was from six hours earlier and the US lost.  CBC was showing track and field live, which of course the US had competitors and were contenders in every event.  Odd why at 7:30-9:30am on a Saturday morning NBC would opt for a taped match where the US team lost and didn't show any of the live track and field.  The water polo could have been shown later in the day when there were no live events because of the time difference.  A lot of people are up on a Saturday morning in the eastern time zones watching, if there are major events live, like track, they should be on the main network.  Poland had a fantastic win this morning in track and field.  

After 9:30 NBC went with a taped game, although gold medal match, in women's rugby.  New Zealand vs France.  CBC had the live basketball last quarter between the US and Czechoslovakia, and the US just won that match.  Again, IMHO, the gold medal match rugby could have run later in the day, when everyone is asleep in Tokyo and there is nothing happening live.   

Last edited by paterson1 (July 31, 2021 9:44 am)