sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 28, 2021 6:24 pm  #1

Ron Popeil Dead At 86, The Creator Of The Infomercial

Starting out with a then unique one minute television commercial,  he would go on to revolutionize the way products were marketed on the airwaves.

https://nypost.com/2021/07/28/ron-popeil-set-it-and-forget-it-infomercial-star-dead-at-86/

July 28, 2021 6:47 pm  #2

Re: Ron Popeil Dead At 86, The Creator Of The Infomercial

I'll never forget the commercials where he sprayed some kind of black paint on his bald spot. "See, a full head of hair again!".

What a guy.

July 28, 2021 7:24 pm  #3

Pocket fishermen everywhere are at half mast.

I keeeeed. I've got one of those fucking rotisseries (courtesy of my late mother-in-law, who was influenced by those late-night bullshit broadcasts). It's actually a decent kitchen appliance.

She also gifted us with a Ronco meat toaster. We didn't use that, but it's as useful an appliance for a penniless student as an air fryer.

July 28, 2021 8:36 pm  #4

https://youtu.be/PqjvtyC9RmI

Years ago Ron appeared with a hit parade of his products on Late Night with Conan O'Brien, and they discussed his iconic inventions and equally iconic taglines 🎣🍗🔪👩‍🦲🧔

p.s. wow was Conan really that young

July 29, 2021 1:46 am  #5

I remember at one point in the late 90s there was a cable channel that had infomercials 24/7, and Ronco Showtime was part of the rotation for a long time. Others included the George Foreman grill, the Fat Free Express, and a home beer brewing kit.

July 29, 2021 10:04 am  #6

After watching that, I got a sudden urge to drop by my neighbourhood grocery store to pick up some OxiClean.

July 29, 2021 2:00 pm  #7

hair in a can was hilarious