sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 22, 2021 10:51 pm  #1

NT1010 & GNR640 Enter The Twilight Zone

I heard something so unusual on Thursday night, I thought Rod Serling might come out and do an extro. 

Evan Solomon has been off on vacation this week, with a Calgary broadcaster named Zane Velji filling in the 12-2 PM timeslot across the country on the iHeart Radio Talk Network. He's scheduled to continue next week. 

Fast forward to 10:30 PM that night. Charles Adler is talking politics on the Corus radio network, including 640, and introduces his next guest: Zane Velji. 

But it gets stranger. At the time he's on Adler's show, 'RB is rerolling that afternoon's Solomon show, hosted by the same Mr. Velji. 

Which means not only was he on two stations in multiple markets on the same day, he was on two of the main Toronto talk stations on the same day - at the same time!

I wonder how Bell feels about their fill-in host doing an interview with their biggest competitor, even as they're running his show. I suppose he's a freelancer and can do it, but you might think that for at least this week, he'd be exclusive to only one broadcaster. 

It's possible something like this has happened before on Toronto airwaves, but I can't remember when. It was certainly very strange to hear him hosting on one while guesting on the other. 

July 23, 2021 12:12 am  #2

Re: NT1010 & GNR640 Enter The Twilight Zone

It used to be that a "voice" was exclusive to one radio station.
These days however, there seems to be a modern day lack of care for where anyone works, just as long as there is no evidence of giving the competition a clear as day free plug.

Another example of this, while not airing at the same time, is still a good point. 
Roz is allowed to do mornings for the Kiss FM's (Toronto, etc)  but he is also free to go work for Global (as in, NOT City TV)  hosting Entertainment Tonight Canada. 
It's stuff like that that would make more sense if ET Canada were to air on City TV instead.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.