sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 22, 2021 10:45 pm  #1

Weather Network's Chris St. Clair Retiring

Checking out the weather radar map this evening on the Weather Network I noticed a series of goodbye's and happy retirements for Chris St. Clair.  Chris has been a presenter on the Weather Network for 26 years and is the network's longest serving host.  He normally covers weekend days and commutes in from Kingston either by car or train. 

Chris was a commercial airline pilot prior to joining The Weather Network in 1994 and he also appears on CBC News Network Saturday and Sunday mornings.  Not totally sure if he is already retired or if this weekend is the last.

July 23, 2021 2:36 am  #2

Re: Weather Network's Chris St. Clair Retiring

paterson1 wrote:

Checking out the weather radar map this evening on the Weather Network I noticed a series of goodbye's and happy retirements for Chris St. Clair.  Chris has been a presenter on the Weather Network for 26 years and is the network's longest serving host.  He normally covers weekend days and commutes in from Kingston either by car or train. 

Chris was a commercial airline pilot prior to joining The Weather Network in 1994 and he also appears on CBC News Network Saturday and Sunday mornings.  Not totally sure if he is already retired or if this weekend is the last.

I believe he was the last personality who worked at their original Montreal studio.

July 23, 2021 10:08 am  #3

Hes a legend there and very knowledgeable. 

July 23, 2021 2:08 pm  #4

Good job, Chris. I've enjoyed your work for years. Thank you!

July 24, 2021 8:38 am  #5

torontostan wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

He normally covers weekend days and commutes in from Kingston either by car or train. 

Excuse me??? He communes to Oakville from KINGSTON? Surely that's a typo.. King City maybe? If he has a secondary residence in the GTA, that doesn't count as commuting from Kinston in my view. 

Unless I have been misunderstanding him over the years, he has said many times about living in Kingston and commuting in on the weekend.  He is only on the air Saturday and Sunday.   So he would come in early Saturday morning (he gets up at 1am) likely stay over on Saturday night and go back to Kingston after his shift on Sunday.    The Weather Network could well be paying for a Saturday layover at a hotel, but since he is coming in every weekend, and returning the next day, would be a commute. 

MJ  Vancouver mentioned that Chris may have worked at the original Weather Network studio which was in Montreal.  And he has lived in Kingston for over 30 years, so he might have done something similar in Montreal.  

Chris also wrote a book in 2009, Canada's Weather- The Climate that Shapes a Nation.  And finally, he is on the air today and tomorrow, so this could be his last weekend.   All the best Chris St. Clair in your retirement.

July 24, 2021 6:28 pm  #6

paterson1 wrote:

torontostan wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

He normally covers weekend days and commutes in from Kingston either by car or train. 

Excuse me??? He communes to Oakville from KINGSTON? Surely that's a typo.. King City maybe? If he has a secondary residence in the GTA, that doesn't count as commuting from Kinston in my view. 

Unless I have been misunderstanding him over the years, he has said many times about living in Kingston and commuting in on the weekend.  He is only on the air Saturday and Sunday.   So he would come in early Saturday morning (he gets up at 1am) likely stay over on Saturday night and go back to Kingston after his shift on Sunday.    The Weather Network could well be paying for a Saturday layover at a hotel, but since he is coming in every weekend, and returning the next day, would be a commute. 

MJ  Vancouver mentioned that Chris may have worked at the original Weather Network studio which was in Montreal.  And he has lived in Kingston for over 30 years, so he might have done something similar in Montreal.  

Chris also wrote a book in 2009, Canada's Weather- The Climate that Shapes a Nation.  And finally, he is on the air today and tomorrow, so this could be his last weekend.   All the best Chris St. Clair in your retirement.

A few weekends ago I saw Chris hosting live from behind Kingston’s city hall (Market Square).