sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 22, 2021 1:13 pm  #1

A Hopeful Nalini Sharma Returns To CTV With A New Look

It's not unusual when a local TV news person goes from one station (City TV) to another (CTV) but for Nalini Sharma, her return comes with an entirely new look. I'm not usually the type of person who notices this stuff, but I peripherally knew Nalini a long time ago and the change is somewhat extreme. 

When she was at City and CP24, Nalini had long straight black hair that went almost to her waist. But on Thursday, she turned up on CFTO's noon news looking almost unrecognizable - short hair and very blonde. 

There may be a good reason for this. She was unfortunately diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer in 2020, and in a Tweet from that year, she noted she would have to cut off those long locks in preparation for chemotherapy. As a cancer survivor myself - who luckily never needed that difficult treatment - I can certainly understand why she disappeared from the tube for a while. 

I'm hopeful her reappearance almost exactly a year later means she's cured or at least well on the way to recovery. New look or not, it was nice to see her back at work given her health issues and I wish her well. But it truly is amazing how different she looks. 

Then

Now

July 28, 2021 11:55 pm  #2

Re: A Hopeful Nalini Sharma Returns To CTV With A New Look

It's no different from Wendy Mesley who also fought breast cancer and went on chemo. From what I recall, the chemo made it so that Wendy's hair could no longer grow very long before it falls out, hence Wendy's shorter hairstyle when she came back on-air (although she mentioned that she tried wearing a wig for a brief period to hide her shortened locks, but quickly gave up on that idea).

This is likely true now for Nalini.