sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 20, 2021 2:50 pm  #1

CHUM-FM: Anyone else notice this when listening?

Hi everyone, long time viewer, first time poster on the board. Thanks for allowing me to join. 

For about 3 weeks and counting, if you tune in to CHUM 104.5 on any radio and listen closely, you'll notice a constant clicking/popping sound (I compare it to the sound of raindrops falling) when listening. This does not happen with their online stream, only on their FM signal. All other FM stations coming off the CN Tower seem to be unaffected, including CHUM's sister: 99.9 Virgin Radio. Does anyone know why this is happening?

To the best of my knowledge: about a year 1/2 to 2 years ago this same thing occurred, and it took awhile for the sound to go away. 

July 20, 2021 3:30 pm  #2

Re: CHUM-FM: Anyone else notice this when listening?

Heard something similar a few years back while in Peterborough, on Cobourg's CFMX 103.1.  Almost like a random "skip" every three or four seconds on the OTA signal from Alnwick Hill.  Issues with the STL or other feed from the studios?

July 20, 2021 3:36 pm  #3

I hear it. Also sounds like a lower bitrate than usual. So I'd agree - they're either on a backup STL or having an issue with the main one.

July 20, 2021 3:44 pm  #4

Good to know, my thanks to you both. I wonder how long it lasted when it happened to (as Forward Power mentioned)- CFMX. Judging by how long it's been already for CHUM, this doesn't seem like a quick fix.

July 20, 2021 5:54 pm  #5

With the lack of staff around, I would assume engineers have not been told of the issue, OR unable to get to the bottom of it.

If I'm not mistaken their main STL is digital based on fibre.   Could be an issue with the decoder if I was guessing.    CHUM has had issues in the past with their decoder but normally was fixed quickly as the programmer at the time was very obsessed with the sound as much as the programming. 

They should likely switch to the backup that is analog based, until they get to the bottom of it... but until it flat out dies... will anyone notice? 

Last edited by radiokid (July 20, 2021 5:56 pm)

July 20, 2021 9:52 pm  #6

radiokid wrote:

With the lack of staff around, I would assume engineers have not been told of the issue, OR unable to get to the bottom of it.

If I'm not mistaken their main STL is digital based on fibre.   Could be an issue with the decoder if I was guessing.    CHUM has had issues in the past with their decoder but normally was fixed quickly as the programmer at the time was very obsessed with the sound as much as the programming. 

They should likely switch to the backup that is analog based, until they get to the bottom of it... but until it flat out dies... will anyone notice? 

Great inside scoop here, thanks! So true re: will anyone notice, especially on the listener end. Unless they're like us ;) 

July 21, 2021 10:01 am  #7

Ill have to listen today carefully to hear it.  On another post I asked actually, if they are using a split configuration with their HD antenna and analog at the same time, but apparently not.  Only Virgin is transmitting off their newer HD antenna above the master FM section on the CN Tower in analog/HD.

Maybe any of this is causing it who knows. 

July 21, 2021 10:05 am  #8

I heard it just now.  It was a quiet part of a song and it was these "microchops" in the sound.   Sounded like some digital type of breakup.

July 21, 2021 10:24 am  #9

It's not a station I listen to often, but I tuned it in and heard it within a few seconds. It sounds like the noise you used to get off a well-worn vinyl record that had clicks and pops in it. Very strange. I'm assuming they must be aware of it by now. 

July 21, 2021 11:22 am  #10

Maybe they are trying to teach silly millennials what vinyl would sound like (in a 2021 type of digital way).

Oddly enough, suddenly they dropped Whitney Houston song from the mid 80s.   I wonder if they will be creeping some 80s back into their daily playlists.

July 21, 2021 11:30 am  #11

A further update: The sound has finally disappeared as of about 11AM. Maybe it was due to this thread! 

July 21, 2021 11:38 am  #12

markow202 wrote:

Maybe they are trying to teach silly millennials what vinyl would sound like (in a 2021 type of digital way).

Oddly enough, suddenly they dropped Whitney Houston song from the mid 80s.   I wonder if they will be creeping some 80s back into their daily playlists.

This started a few months ago, with the Whitney you heard plus a few others from Michael Jackson, and Madonna. However, there have been no further 80's adds in the daily rotation since then (as far as I've heard).

July 21, 2021 12:50 pm  #13

Radio.Intern wrote:

A further update: The sound has finally disappeared as of about 11AM. Maybe it was due to this thread! 

Their slogan is "make toronto Pop" so maybe thats what it was doing 

November 14, 2022 9:04 pm  #14

Dusting off this thread because the same sound is back again.... 

Noticed last night about 6PM, and as of just after 8'o clock tonight it remains when tuning in 104.5

November 15, 2022 6:34 pm  #15

Maybe Master FM is dying... 

November 15, 2022 10:18 pm  #16

Radio.Intern wrote:

Dusting off this thread because the same sound is back again.... 

Noticed last night about 6PM, and as of just after 8'o clock tonight it remains when tuning in 104.5

Update: Seems to have vanished as of this morning. About 24 hours looks to be a record for the correction, as last time the sound went on for weeks!