sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 19, 2021 5:43 pm  #1

Another Sign Of AM's Long, Slow Decline

We know AM isn't what it used to be, but every time another powerhouse signal bites the dust, it just reinforces the fact that most companies aren't all that interested in the band anymore. 

Latest case in point - WIBC, a longtime Indianapolis mainstay that many here may have DXed at one time or another on 1070 AM. If not, you've got until August 2nd to hear it. That's when the station's owner intends to turn off the power, with the outlet already simulcasting on FM. The land is worth more than the towers and they're planning to just turn this one time Top 40 pioneer off.

As usual, it was all about money. “We were offered a wonderful opportunity to monetize the property, and felt it was our obligation to explore that, " Emmis owner Jeff Smulyan explains. "Ultimately, it made the most sense.” 

I'm curious about this - they say in their statement that they're looking for a "new use" for the frequency. But doesn't abandoning it altogether and turning it off equate to effectively turning that licence back to the FCC? How long can they hold on to a turned off 1070 while making a decision about its future? I'm not sure how it works in the States, but it seems like this AM station is about to be gone forever. It's been on there since 1938.

Original WIBC Signal Going Silent

WIBC History

July 19, 2021 6:56 pm  #2

Re: Another Sign Of AM's Long, Slow Decline

The reality is that most directional AM stations are worth a lot more dead than alive. Especially on the lower frequencies, the transmitter site can be as much as 100 acres for a nine tower parallelogram array.  When you consider what residential building lots are worth, and that you can easily get 6 to 8 per acre, it's not hard to understand a "wonderful opportunity to monetize".

Last edited by Skywave (July 20, 2021 7:38 am)

July 19, 2021 7:24 pm  #3

This is always interesting to see what AM and FM stations have gone silent.  The FCC has a list which is updated monthly.  A station or frequency needs to be off the air for at least two months.  It is interesting to note that there are more silent FM frequencies than AM listed.  However many of the FM listed are the so called translators or repeater stations, and indicated with an LP after the call sign.  The list is dependent on the license owner to notify the FCC that they have gone silent.  Notice if a station turns in it's license or the license is revoked, the frequency is not immediately available for a new applicant.  Interested parties will need to wait for the next application cycle or auction. 
https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/silent-radio-lists

July 19, 2021 7:54 pm  #4

It can be confusing, but "-LP" and "translator" are two very different categories of FCC license. An LPFM station (service class "FL" with a -LP callsign) is limited to 100 w/30 m or equivalent, must operate noncommercially, and cannot be co-owned with any other station, full power or LPFM. A translator (service class "FX" with a callsign of the form W200AA, where the numbers are the FM channel number) cannot originate its own programming but must relay a full-power station, can operate commercially or noncommercially, and can operate with up to 250 watts with no limit on height. 

There's no precise comparison to Canadian license classes, but the LPFM class is reasonably close to your developmental/community stations, while some translators are functionally equivalent to your nested rebroadcast transmitters (like CFZM's 96.7). 

July 19, 2021 10:28 pm  #5

Thanks fybush.  The technical side is not my bailiwick, so thanks for the explanation. 

July 19, 2021 10:34 pm  #6

Worth noting that Mr. Fybush has an exceptional radio site of his own. He offers news about stations in the northeast part of the U.S. and tours cities and towns, including the antenna sites of many places you'd normally never get to see. (This week he was in Olean and Salamanca, N.Y., and next week he's promising to take a tour of Buffalo. Now THAT should be interesting to see!)

Have a look at his site here. 

July 19, 2021 10:43 pm  #7

WFME 1560 KHZ in NYC closed down a few months ago for the same reason. Sold the land on which their towers were located for $50 M.

They haven't surrendered their license and they say they'll be back. It doesn't seem very likely.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

July 19, 2021 11:26 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

Worth noting that Mr. Fybush has an exceptional radio site of his own. He offers news about stations in the northeast part of the U.S. and tours cities and towns, including the antenna sites of many places you'd normally never get to see. (This week he was in Olean and Salamanca, N.Y., and next week he's promising to take a tour of Buffalo. Now THAT should be interesting to see!)

He’s also done quite a bit of touring in Canada, prior to the pandemic. He’s visited Quinte Broadcasting in Belleville several times.

July 20, 2021 9:33 am  #9

turkeytop wrote:

WFME 1560 KHZ in NYC closed down a few months ago for the same reason. Sold the land on which their towers were located for $50 M.

They haven't surrendered their license and they say they'll be back. It doesn't seem very likely.

It is possible if they team up with another broadcaster and duplex their towers, but it will never be a the same power OR coverage area likely.   1560 is a clear channel and under Disney it would be very normal to get the signal in the GTA at night.   After Disney it was flipped to be a religious station under "Family Radio".    I tend to question it going back on the air, because planning should have happened to move before pulling the plug, but the signal is/was valuable only because it was clear channel.   Religious Broadcasters seems to have money to spend, so only time will tell. 

July 20, 2021 12:08 pm  #10

MJ Vancouver wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

He’s also done quite a bit of touring in Canada, prior to the pandemic. He’s visited Quinte Broadcasting in Belleville several times.

And I promise I'll be back before long! A man needs his Hawkins Cheezies, after all. 

As for WFME, it has applied for a temporary longwire facility, a slant wire attached to an FM tower that Family still owns in New Jersey. It won't be great coverage, but it will keep the license alive. (Under US rules, if a station doesn't transmit at all for 365 consecutive days, its license is automatically deleted.) 

July 20, 2021 6:39 pm  #11

radiokid wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

It is possible if they team up with another broadcaster and duplex their towers, but it will never be a the same power OR coverage area likely.   1560 is a clear channel and under Disney it would be very normal to get the signal in the GTA at night.   After Disney it was flipped to be a religious station under "Family Radio".    I tend to question it going back on the air, because planning should have happened to move before pulling the plug, but the signal is/was valuable only because it was clear channel.   Religious Broadcasters seems to have money to spend, so only time will tell. 

Family Radio never recovered from the big hit they took in 2011. after Harold Comping's end of the world prediction failed. Their income stream from listener donations dried right up. Soon after that they started selling off their assets just to stay afloat  Their crown jewel was WYFR short wave in Florida. They sold it off to WRMI. Then, one by one they've been shutting down their stations across the country.

WRMI sells blocks of time to various religious organizations. I don't know why Family Radio wouldn't utilize something like that

Last edited by turkeytop (July 20, 2021 6:42 pm)

July 27, 2021 10:04 pm  #12

Here's another indication of how low they can go. According to a brief blurb in a California daily, (scroll to the bottom of the page to read it) a radio station in Madison, Georgia - WYTH-AM 1250 - has been sold, despite the fact it's been off the air supposedly for years.

How much would you pay for a 1,000-watt day, 79-watt night outlet in a small southern town? 

Well, someone gave out the less-than-princely sum of - get this - $10 to buy the place and all its equipment (!) Of course, that's ten bucks U.S., so it's roughly equivalent to $12.60 Canadian at current rates. 

The article pointedly notes that the new owners did not buy the land the transmitter sits on, which is certainly worth considerably more and they'll have to negotiate a new agreement to keep using it. But imagine being able to purchase your very own AM station for only 10 bucks. When you think of what they once sold for, it's yet another sign of the sad state of that band.

No word on how the new owners intend to resuscitate it. What would you do with such an outlet for your ten dollars?

November 4, 2021 4:49 pm  #13

fybush wrote:

As for WFME, it has applied for a temporary longwire facility, a slant wire attached to an FM tower that Family still owns in New Jersey. It won't be great coverage, but it will keep the license alive. (Under US rules, if a station doesn't transmit at all for 365 consecutive days, its license is automatically deleted.) 

WFME is back up, running 1 KW, from a temporary slant wire antenna from the tower of WNSH. located in West Orange NJ. I've been able able to catch their test broadcasts here tonight in London ON. about 500 miles from NYC.

Their signal is surprisingly strong but with some fading and QRM. Even with the QRM, theirs is the dominant signal
They are asking for reception reports by telephone or email.

November 4, 2021 5:29 pm  #14

Apparently that new signal has been up and running since October 26th. But good catch! I heard it through the static here in northern North York. It's weak but it's there. 

Scott Fybush, a great SOWNY poster, explained the return of the station in a column on his website last June. 

November 4, 2021 9:28 pm  #15

If they're licensed for 50 KW, is it a violation of their license to be running only 1 KW?

November 5, 2021 11:44 pm  #16

turkeytop wrote:

If they're licensed for 50 KW, is it a violation of their license to be running only 1 KW?

Not if they have requested "special temporary authority" (STA), which they have. The FCC recognizes that it can be difficult for AM broadcasters to maintain high-power facilities these days, so it allows stations to explain technical issues that may require temporary use of lower power or less-efficient antennas. STA operation must be renewed every six months, and in theory stations are supposed to be showing the FCC they're making some sort of progress each time toward resuming fully licensed operation, though in practice the Commission gives licensees great leeway these days.