sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 17, 2021 5:41 am  #2

Re: Blue Jays to play at home beginning July 30

Now if Rogers would bring the proper radio play-by-play team home.

July 17, 2021 10:03 am  #3

I think it's disgusting that they are allowing unvaccinated players into Canada. You make hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars a year, you can effen well get vaccinated. Again, it's all about money, and with that in mind, don't expect Rogers to bring back radio play by play.

July 17, 2021 9:54 pm  #4

This also destroys their excuse that they "didn't want the radio crews travelling because of COVID." If the team can come home, seems to me there's no longer any reason they can't have a radio crew with them or on the road. 

July 17, 2021 10:12 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

This also destroys their excuse that they "didn't want the radio crews travelling because of COVID." If the team can come home, seems to me there's no longer any reason they can't have a radio crew with them or on the road. 

The reason they don't have a radio crew is plain and simple - money.

It wouldn't surprise me if more major teams followed suit.

Once the hubbub dies down, fans will just accept it and the job of baseball radio announcer will have the same quaint connotation as blacksmith and typewriter repairman.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

July 18, 2021 8:15 am  #6

Dale Patterson wrote:

Once the hubbub dies down, fans will just accept it and the job of baseball radio announcer will have the same quaint connotation as blacksmith and typewriter repairman 

Other than for vision-impaired (blind) baseball fans, its hard to imagine why this is an issue.     

geo

P.S. - double-header at 1:00 today 

July 18, 2021 10:19 am  #7

Dale Patterson wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

The reason they don't have a radio crew is plain and simple - money.

It wouldn't surprise me if more major teams followed suit.

Once the hubbub dies down, fans will just accept it and the job of baseball radio announcer will have the same quaint connotation as blacksmith and typewriter repairman.

I agree. Games called specifically for radio a obviously better, but have become largely unnecessary. 

It hasn't been *that* long that every game has been on TV, and, more recently, streaming - taking away radio's portability advantage. Radio is a backup at this point.

However, I think it would still be advantageous to call the games while keeping those not watching or not watching closely in mind. For example, I like to have the games on while doing other things around the house. I'm not sure there's any negative to this approach?

July 18, 2021 12:59 pm  #8

Several posters are missing the point.  Radio play-by-play that is broadcast with radio people NOT TV commentators is much more complete and descriptive.  Most frustrating to be watching a Jays game with the current inept crew missing so many plays and colorful events that are in play.  Fans that are in their vehicles, working around the home or office, or even with sight restrictions deserve a proper baseball broadcast.  If money is the reason, just wait until the numbers come in then you'll see Rogers wake up and consider improving the radio side of baseball.  It's not surprising how often fans watching the TV game will mute the TV sound, turn up the radio broadcast while watching the telecast and listen to how play-by-play should be done.  If what Rogers is doing to the Jays' games doesn't bother you, you're not a true baseball fan.    

July 18, 2021 2:13 pm  #9

I'm sure more teams will have a similar arrangement in place as the years progress, but let's not forget that most teams are not owned by their broadcaster. Furthermore, a team's radio & TV broadcasters aren't always owned by the same company. It would be like if Loblaws owned the Blue Jays, SportsNet had the TV rights, but TSN had the radio rights.. what would happen then? Sure TSN and SportsNet could strike (no pun intended) a deal, but then radio listeners would hear TV branding. I think the Blue Jays will stick with this approach unless they're sold to become part of MLSE. 

July 18, 2021 2:36 pm  #10

geo wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

Once the hubbub dies down, fans will just accept it and the job of baseball radio announcer will have the same quaint connotation as blacksmith and typewriter repairman 

Other than for vision-impaired (blind) baseball fans, its hard to imagine why this is an issue.     

geo

You obviously haven’t listened. Close your eyes for an inning while watching and try to keep track of balls and strikes to understand the radio experience.  They aren’t providing the information required to know what is going on. If they were, it would be a non-issue.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (July 18, 2021 2:40 pm)

July 18, 2021 3:16 pm  #11

Tomas Barlow wrote:

geo wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

geo

You obviously haven’t listened. Close your eyes for an inning while watching and try to keep track of balls and strikes to understand the radio experience. They aren’t providing the information required to know what is going on. If they were, it would be a non-issue.

Close my eyes for an inning and risk missing Vlad Guerrero Jr. at the plate, are you nutz?

geo

July 18, 2021 9:38 pm  #12

I listened to the first three innings and counted 5 times where Pat Tabler talked about something on the screen and Dan Shulman did it once.  Three different times the ball hit the glove with no indication of whether the pitch was a ball or a strike.  It's impossible to follow the game on radio.

July 19, 2021 6:00 am  #13

Tomas Barlow wrote:

I listened to the first three innings and counted 5 times where Pat Tabler talked about something on the screen and Dan Shulman did it once.  Three different times the ball hit the glove with no indication of whether the pitch was a ball or a strike.  It's impossible to follow the game on radio.

EXACTLY!

July 19, 2021 7:03 pm  #14

five minute alert:  popcorn & peanuts & crackerjacks coming up