sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 7, 2021 2:47 pm  #1

1985: CRTC chastises stations for non Can-Con compliance

One station was as low as 6.8 per cent! And Beaver Hours abounded!

The silly geese - the CRTC is always watching...

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

July 7, 2021 3:06 pm  #2

Re: 1985: CRTC chastises stations for non Can-Con compliance

What year did this "threat" to the nation occur, Dale?

July 7, 2021 3:09 pm  #3

I think the thread title answers that question. It says 1985. We've always heard that some stations used to squeeze CanCon into the later hours. This is certainly proof that it happened and at some pretty big outlets.

July 7, 2021 3:11 pm  #4

DUH...on me...LOL.

July 7, 2021 3:29 pm  #5

Games have always been played.  I remember one station in my hometown playing old comedy albums between 10 or 11-midnight when the old FM "spoken word" requirements still existed so they could play more music during the day. 

Come to think of it, I think they may have been flagged for being low on Cancon around that time too.

Last edited by I Used Carts (July 7, 2021 3:30 pm)

July 7, 2021 5:35 pm  #6

This was 36 years ago.  Is it maybe not time to move on and get over cancon?  The ruling has been around for over 50 years.  Did this stacking of domestic music after 10pm really make any difference for CFTR and CHUM?   I bet that if they had just played 30% every hour in the evening, their ratings would have been the same.  The audience doesn't care about this. 

For stations to say that their wasn't enough material available is suspect since many would only play the bare minimum of new music and even hold off adding a new Canadian song for weeks since they had enough new cancon already.  

And CHML, why would they even bother?  They were never what you would call a music station anyway, so for them to be playing 6.8% cancon makes no sense.  Even in 1985 people weren't usually tuning in CHML for the music.  Maybe a Ti-Cat game, talk show or news, but music was never ML's main focus. 

Today generally there isn't much stacking.  There still is some but again, what is the point?

July 7, 2021 5:39 pm  #7

paterson1 wrote:

Today generally there isn't much stacking.  There still is some but again, what is the point?

To play more of the audience's favourite songs when more of them are listening.

July 7, 2021 6:17 pm  #8

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

To play more of the audience's favourite songs when more of them are listening.

That's admirable and I understand, however if the station stayed with 35% rather than 20 or 25% I bet the numbers would be the same, and I doubt the audience would notice or enjoy the radio any less.  People are listening for more than just the music.  

July 7, 2021 7:14 pm  #9

paterson1 wrote:

This was 36 years ago.  Is it maybe not time to move on and get over cancon?  The ruling has been around for over 50 years.  Did this stacking of domestic music after 10pm really make any difference for CFTR and CHUM?   I bet that if they had just played 30% every hour in the evening, their ratings would have been the same.  The audience doesn't care about this. 

For stations to say that their wasn't enough material available is suspect since many would only play the bare minimum of new music and even hold off adding a new Canadian song for weeks since they had enough new cancon already.  

And CHML, why would they even bother?  They were never what you would call a music station anyway, so for them to be playing 6.8% cancon makes no sense.  Even in 1985 people weren't usually tuning in CHML for the music.  Maybe a Ti-Cat game, talk show or news, but music was never ML's main focus. 

You're not allowed to "stack" anymore. I believe most of the loopholes have been closed.

There's lots of good Canadian music. Check out Neil Young's catalogue - or that of Lighthouse, Rush and so many other artists. My real beef is that we keep keep hearing so many of the Can-Con burn-outs all the time. Edward Bear's "The Last Song: has been heard ad nauseum - why not "Freedom For The Stallion" or "Same Old Feeling." There's tons of great Lighthouse tunes that never get played - "Magic's In The Dancing", "Love of a Woman`, and `Little Kind Words`` come to mind. C`mon programmers, dig deeper. There`s gold in them thar catalogues!

July 8, 2021 6:48 am  #10

Fred D. Vette in Belleville/Trenton wrings considerable mileage out of Ronnie Hawkins' first album and each song sounds terrific every time he plays them.    Only in Belleville/Trenton, though.   

Pity. 

July 8, 2021 11:27 am  #11

Totally agree with Dale on the songs that were played and popular years ago, but never get airplay anymore.  This not only includes cancon but pop music in general.  Comes down to the scoring or rating of songs, and the people that are brought in to give broadcasters an idea what the "average listener" likes or doesn't like.  This explains much of the repetition on the gold which is heard on the radio.  I have SiriusXM, and one song I hear all the time on 70's on 7 is Ramblin Man by the Allman Bros.  I heard it two times last week, and once two weeks ago.  Thing is, I don't listen to satellite radio all that much, but 70's on 7 and 80's on 8 are among my favourites. 

Speaking of song repetition, here is Kim Mitchell talking about Patio Lanterns on Cross Country Check Up.
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/checkup/what-s-your-favourite-canadian-summer-jam-1.6088267/tired-of-hearing-the-song-patio-lanterns-kim-mitchell-gets-it-1.6089964  

July 8, 2021 2:27 pm  #12

paterson1 wrote:

Totally agree with Dale on the songs that were played and popular years ago, but never get airplay anymore.  This not only includes cancon but pop music in general.  Comes down to the scoring or rating of songs, and the people that are brought in to give broadcasters an idea what the "average listener" likes or doesn't like.  This explains much of the repetition on the gold which is heard on the radio.  I have SiriusXM, and one song I hear all the time on 70's on 7 is Ramblin Man by the Allman Bros.  I heard it two times last week, and once two weeks ago.  Thing is, I don't listen to satellite radio all that much, but 70's on 7 and 80's on 8 are among my favourites. 

Speaking of song repetition, here is Kim Mitchell talking about Patio Lanterns on Cross Country Check Up.
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/checkup/what-s-your-favourite-canadian-summer-jam-1.6088267/tired-of-hearing-the-song-patio-lanterns-kim-mitchell-gets-it-1.6089964  

As an enticement, how about giving stations a break on Can-Con if they play something outside of say, the Top 40 (kind of a twist on the old non-hit rules). Playing one of those lesser-played cuts would give them say two credits instead of one. Same for album cuts not released as singles and local artists who have not charted. Lots of possibilities.

The point I`m making is that if Can-Con is here to stay, let`s make the best of it. Freddy Vette does a tremendous job playing lesser-known Can-Con on his CJBQ show. You don`t even think of it as Can-Con - just great tunes you`ve never heard in a while, or ever.

July 8, 2021 2:41 pm  #13

I think Ashby also handles the Can-Con well on his shows. He plays the kind of stuff you're referring to and sometimes, if you haven't heard it in a long while, it can be a nice memory flogger.