sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 6, 2021 8:46 pm  #1

Sowny.net Is Back - With A Minor Change

If you usually access the site using Sowny.net, you may have noticed it's not connecting. I've received several emails noting that the board seems to be down on that address. I have no idea why, but I've written Boardhost to ask what's going on. So far, no response. 

In the meantime - and if you're reading this, you clearly already know - the SOWNY Board is still very much alive and kicking at this old address:

https://gta.boardhost.com/viewforum.php?id=1

Until whatever is causing this is resolved, please use the address above. 

I'll let you know when - or if - Boardhost responds and more importantly, restores the connection. 

Meantime, thanks for your patience. Beyond my control, but I hope to have it fixed sooner than later. 

July 6, 2021 8:51 pm  #2

Re: Sowny.net Is Back - With A Minor Change

Thanks RA. 

I just received your email response.  I had thought that the problem might have been on my end;  as I have encountered this a few times over the last couple of weeks, however simply refreshing the page always solved the problem until today.

Last edited by Media Observer (July 6, 2021 9:05 pm)

July 7, 2021 1:17 am  #3

i'm an old guy using old links. suddenly, the beatles "when i'm 64" doesn't seem as futuristic... especially the "when i'm" part.

July 7, 2021 7:37 am  #4

This issue appears to have been at least partially resolved, although I still haven't heard from Boardhost at all about what happened. The only difference now is that when you go to "sowny.net," it automatically redirects you to a different URL, in this case, "https://gta.boardhost.com/". No idea why or if that's permanent, but thanks for your patience on this. 

The old addy, https://gta.boardhost.com/viewforum.php?id=1, is still up and running. 

July 7, 2021 8:23 am  #5

When I kept finding that the sowny URL wasn't working, I switched to the gta one and found that it was fine. But the main reason I knew to try this might be of interest. When I've subscribed to a topic, I've found that the emails I've received have used the sowny URL the majority of the time, but sometimes it's been the gta one. I'll be interested in seeing what happens when I subscribe now, as I've just done with this topic. 

July 7, 2021 8:56 am  #6

I'm only posting this so you will get that email and let us know what happens!

July 7, 2021 9:02 am  #7

It came to the gta URL, which is what I was hoping for. I'm going to stay with using this one and hope that all the emails will come to the gta address. The problem with them switching back and forth has been that I was only logged in on the sowny URL. So I'd need to switch to that one, because the emails state, "There may be more new replies, but this is the only notification you will receive until you visit the forum again."

July 7, 2021 10:45 am  #8

I thought I had been kicked off the board.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

July 7, 2021 11:08 am  #9

I'm reminded of when Les Nessman led off his newscast by telling his listeners that the WKRP transmitter had been blown up ... when the sowny link stopped working, it would have helped to see a message there telling us that we should switch to the gta link instead. 

July 7, 2021 11:06 pm  #10

Boardhost has been having issues with this for ages.  First it was ssl https etc and now it's their DNS service.  I believe they stopped allowing boards to use their DNS servers a while back and just granfathered any, like sowny, that were there already.

Anyway, I've just forwarded the sowny.net url to boardhost.  That way people can use whatever they wish, and not at the mercy of Boardhost and their tinkering.

ig.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

July 7, 2021 11:41 pm  #11

Thanks Iain! This version of SOWNY will always be your baby. I'm just babysitting in case you want to come back some day!

July 8, 2021 9:41 am  #12

A rumour has been floating around since an individual whose handle I can't remember took over from the late Craig Smith.     

It goes like this . . . he (or she as the case may be) wasn't a broadcast enthusiast, but rather wanted to make big money from control of SOWNY.     He/she was reportedly hawking it, (off-board of course) and eventually Iain Grant stepped in and changed the structure

And all lived happily ever after

July 8, 2021 10:18 am  #13

Trust me, there's no "big money" in SOWNY! I don't make a dime off the board.

In fact, I have to pay every half year or so to keep it ad free. But I like this place and I think it's worth it. Even in U.S. funds! 

July 8, 2021 10:58 am  #14

Thanks to Iain and RadioActive for putting up with our shenanigans all these years. 

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

July 8, 2021 11:20 am  #15

Speaking of Shenanigans - anyone else remember this from their misspent youth?