sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 2, 2021 11:26 am  #1

The Nooze , Aye?

As a veteran of more than 4 decades in the business it behooves me ( actually annoys the hell out of me) that 
this is allowed to continue !
When did it become...Nooze ?!
I am bringing this up because i have noticed with the New City TV branding that the voiceover announcer says ..Nooze..not News. Some places it isn't overly obvious...some places it is. When I was doing classes at Mohawk College in Hamilton Ontario  with budding journalists, one of the first things I had them do was pronounce " News". Simply told them it rhymes with "Views". Hopefully, all of them (many who are currently working in the business ) never forgot that. 
I had noticed previously   that the intro to  CHCH News in Hamilton, the announcer also says " CHCH Nooze ".
Question is ...why is this allowed to continue ?  Surely, I am not  the only one who has noticed. (and don't call me...) 
While I am posting...also wanted to mention that I am sick and tired of  anchors and reporters saying " aye"...when it should be "a"...as in "aye man was killed today in aye  crash on the 401" . I hear it constantly .  For many , I assume it is just a bad habit  but isn't it up to their managers to point this out?  Enough now from one who is retired ..I need to take "a" nap !!!

July 2, 2021 11:36 am  #2

Re: The Nooze , Aye?

The "nyooz" pronunciation is dated, and not in line with common dialect. The comparison with "views" doesn't work; there's an "i" in there that changes the pronunciation.

It should sound no different than if how you'd say "new," but pluralized.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/news
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/news

Last edited by RadioAaron (July 2, 2021 11:37 am)

July 2, 2021 12:04 pm  #3

Information from all over. North East West South.  Not some random spewed info, so yeah. 
Get it right. It's also Toronto's news not Bronx news. No need for a New York Bronx accent.

Right "Youze guys"? lol 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 2, 2021 12:15 pm  #4

Radiowiz wrote:

No need for a New York Bronx accent.    

. . . unless you're doing Blue Jays play-by-play, that is

July 2, 2021 12:34 pm  #5

strongly doubt newsreaders today know the difference between the long and short "a"

also not impressed by the mispronunciation of "Lytton" when reporting on the tragedy in B.C. that was all over the airwaves

are program directors already on summer break, and whatever happened to the broadcast equivalent of saying to a co-worker "you've got something stuck in your teeth" by discreetly saying " you might not know this but..."

July 2, 2021 3:37 pm  #6

An old angry former news guy here, and the one that bothers me is "..flags flying at half mast."

They might be if they are on a ship, but on land half staff.    This one I hear all the time, even on national newscasts both TV and Radio

July 3, 2021 11:02 am  #7

Just a Radio Fan wrote:

They might be if they are on a ship, but on land half staff.    This one I hear all the time, even on national newscasts both TV and Radio

You'll notice some reporters just say "Flag is flying at half today" leaving out the word staff.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.