sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 27, 2021 10:44 am  #2

Re: Bill Brady has written a memoir about his career

I have a very faint memory of Bill Brady, but from his time in Toronto on CKEY. I'm guessing the best thing he ever did was leave the Big Smoke for the Forest City. That's him in the top hat, right next to Dave Mickie-soon-to-be-Marsden. The others are (from left) J. P. Finnegan, Duff Roman, Big G Walters and Lee Vogel (in drag).

(Last two pics courtesy the very generous Doug Thompson.) 

June 27, 2021 10:48 am  #3

It just struck me there have been three morning men in Toronto using the name Brady - Bill (CKEY), Jim (CFTR), and now Greg (CFMJ GNR640.) Not sure if that's some kind of strange record and it certainly wasn't Jim Felton's real moniker, but I can't quite think of another surname that matches such an important radio position as AM drive host. Just a weird observation on a very toasty Sunday morning.

June 27, 2021 8:40 pm  #4

Bill Brady was one of my radio heroes.  Such a funny, funny man. A couple of years ago I came across an article he had done and he left his email there.

I wrote him, telling him what he meant to me in those days.  He immediately wrote back thanking me for my comments. I don’t think Bill was totally comfortable in Toronto and was very happy to return to London where he was a household name.  It was London’s gain and Toronto’s loss.  I will certainly buy his book.

Good Health Mr. Brady.

June 27, 2021 9:14 pm  #5

When's your book coming out, Mr. Donabie? Now THAT one, I'd love to read! The stories on CKFH and CHUM-FM alone would probably fill a few hundred pages. (And hopefully not get you sued!)

June 27, 2021 9:38 pm  #6

Maybo wrote:

I can’t wait to drive back to my hometown and pick up a copy of his book. Bill is a wonderful gent and I wish I could have worked with him during my years in London.

Sorry, way off topic, but I thought Mr. Mayberry might like to see this. It's from March 1984.

June 27, 2021 11:21 pm  #7

John D wrote:

Bill Brady was one of my radio heroes. Such a funny, funny man. A couple of years ago I came across an article he had done and he left his email there.

I wrote him, telling him what he meant to me in those days. He immediately wrote back thanking me for my comments. I don’t think Bill was totally comfortable in Toronto and was very happy to return to London where he was a household name. It was London’s gain and Toronto’s loss. I will certainly buy his book.

Good Health Mr. Brady.

Well put John.  Only worked at CFPL for about 7 months, didn't like working all nights, so I quit.  Bill Brady was GM when I was there and he was one of the funniest people I have ever met.  Also a very kind man, hero in the community and really smart.  I absolutely will buy the book.   

June 28, 2021 9:29 pm  #8

Turns out it's not Brady's first book.

From 1973:

June 29, 2021 11:11 am  #9

Here is a picture of Bill on the CFPL game show Act Fast which was on the air from the late 50's until the mid 70's.  I believe he hosted the show from the time he came back to London from CKEY until the shows completion around 1974/75.  I love the way that stations like CFPL TV did fairly ambitious local programming back then. 

Last edited by paterson1 (June 29, 2021 11:13 am)

July 17, 2021 10:19 pm  #10

The book is reviewed in the London Free Press and includes stories on "how he resolved the Cuban missile crisis, had a hand in a Toronto mayor’s tragic death, advised an escaped criminal holding hostages to ask for more ransom money during a standoff with police, and helped save an entire region during one of the worst snowstorms in our history."

London broadcasting legend Bill Brady reflects in memoir

July 18, 2021 9:44 pm  #11

Circa 1978 London was hit with a nasty snow storm. The heavy accumulation paralyzed the city for a couple of days. People were being rescued by snow mobiles as most vehicles could not get through the snow.

Mr. Brady was on duty at CFPL 980 when the storm hit and he remained on the air for many hours (like 18 or more) as the people who were scheduled to replace him could not make it to the station. He took many live calls, provided up to the minute updates from local officials and I believe he facilitated the rescue of some folks. His calming demeanor helped a lot of people get through the storm. A real pro and radio at its finest for sure.  

Last edited by darcyh (July 18, 2021 9:48 pm)