sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 3, 2021 2:49 pm  #2

Re: Numeris Diary Spring 2021

None of the major markets here, but the list does have a few I'm interested in - most especially Hamilton. I know it's only share listed and not broken down by demos, but it's still revealing. Although I like Funny 820 as an alternate and it costs them next to nothing to run it, the fates of CKOC and CHAM are pretty sad. 

Yes, AM outlets are not what they used to be and those glory days are long over. But CHML holds its own. And while times have certainly changed, what Bell has done to these once proud radio stations saddens me when I think how important and successful they used to be. I wonder how long they'll keep them on the air given the endlessly miniscule numbers they get book after book after book. 

One thing's for sure - they can't be very sunny about their share!

https://i.ibb.co/3SgN2TC/hamilton.jpg

June 3, 2021 3:29 pm  #3

In Ottawa, CBC Radio One has almost 25% market share.

Quite impressive for a market with up to 30 radio stations.

June 3, 2021 3:34 pm  #4

Another observation, from Kingston - seems the Pure Country format isn't doing very well for CKLC.

June 3, 2021 4:17 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

The fates of CKOC and CHAM are pretty sad. 

Yes, AM outlets are not what they used to be and those glory days are long over. But CHML holds its own. And while times have certainly changed, what Bell has done to these once proud radio stations saddens me when I think how important and successful they used to be. I wonder how long they'll keep them on the air given the endlessly miniscule numbers they get book after book after book.

I suspect that in time we'll see another CKSL scenario, where they let their transmitters fall into disrepair over time and then ask the CRTC if they can surrender their licenses because they likely won't recoup the money it takes to repair and upkeep them.

Also, Bell's decision to flip CKLH to Bounce 102.9 is even more puzzling, given the fact that they were the second highest station in terms of share (and not a distant second, either), as well as the highest in terms of total numbers. If they wanted to go with national branding, why didn't they just change it to a Move station? Seems like that would've been a smarter move (pardon the pun).

PJ

Last edited by Paul Jeffries (June 3, 2021 4:19 pm)

Toronto's ORIGINAL classic hits station! http://www.classichitsonline.com

June 3, 2021 4:38 pm  #6

CKLH I think was a few things... National Brand... but they also are looking at out of market tuning that you don't see in the 12+ numbers.    When Boom is sitting above them, along with a few others..  I think they looked at the over all if they can get those people BACK to a local signal, it could help.  I also think Bell was in a place of what to do as well, because they are locked in with 2 AM's and a single FM.   For growth, it's limited.    CKOC will be interesting over the next few books.    TV audio costs them next to nothing to run, as does CHAM.  As long as they are doing ok in the 25-54 demo, and grow with the TV audio on CKOC they may just be able to make it work.    The biggest thing I would love to see if the next few books on CKLH..  Did they get people back OR did they mess things up so bad that they won't be able to fix it.    Lets see how this plays out. 

Last edited by radiokid (June 3, 2021 4:39 pm)

June 3, 2021 10:28 pm  #7

Talk radio does very well in Winnipeg.  Great ratings for CBC Radio 1 and CJOB.  Winnipeg seems to have a lot of stations with similar formats for music.  Country also did well coming in a strong #3 for the stations who took part in the Numeris Diary spring 2021 rating...more from Radiowest.ca
https://www.radiowest.ca/ratings/wpgsp21numeris.jpg

Last edited by paterson1 (June 3, 2021 10:36 pm)

June 4, 2021 12:08 am  #8

Jump! 106.9 (1.7) compared to HOT 89.9's (6.1) in Ottawa (Gatineau included), 12+. Ouch!
Are they doing better 25-54?

I hear Rebel (1.4) is starting to slowly morph from Active to Mainstream Rock. Probably a wise move.

June 4, 2021 9:23 am  #9

David Bray, of Bray & Associates, a longtime interpreter of ratings, has a few issues with the Numeris numbers - or the lack of some of them. 

The Spring of Discontent

June 4, 2021 9:31 am  #10

RadioActive wrote:

None of the major markets here, but the list does have a few I'm interested in - most especially Hamilton. I know it's only share listed and not broken down by demos, but it's still revealing. Although I like Funny 820 as an alternate and it costs them next to nothing to run it, the fates of CKOC and CHAM are pretty sad. 

One thing's for sure - they can't be very sunny about their share!

They're probably not even looking at it. It's not the goal. They know they'll see steep drops in Vancouver and Winnipeg too.

June 4, 2021 9:34 am  #11

Sunny wrote:

Jump! 106.9 (1.7) compared to HOT 89.9's (6.1) in Ottawa (Gatineau included), 12+. Ouch!
Are they doing better 25-54?

No.

Sunny wrote:

=12pxI hear Rebel (1.4) is starting to slowly morph from Active to Mainstream Rock. Probably a wise move.

Rebel looks quite a bit better in 25-54 and I'd agree a move to slightly more Mainstream makes sense.

June 4, 2021 9:38 am  #12

CityNews in Ottawa had a decent start -- interestingly both halves of the simulcast are reported separately.

1310AM came in at a 1.8 and 101.1FM at a 1.5.

The combined 3.3 is a big jump for the station.

Having said that, some of the ratings for 101.1 are from its previous format, as this book combines data from the fall and spring.

The former Country format that was moved to 92.3 Smiths Falls isn't included in the book.

Last edited by RadioAaron (June 4, 2021 9:39 am)

June 4, 2021 1:43 pm  #13

The major markets use PPM and not diaries.  Their ratings come out next Wednesday June 9th apparently.

June 4, 2021 7:59 pm  #14

Interesting here in K/W that Corus' 91.5 The Beat "beats" Bell's Virgin 105.3 by a good margin Central Market Reach.
4.3 share and 61,100 listeners vs Virgin with 3.5 share and 39,300.  Virgin and the former KFUN have an advantage over 91.5 with lots of promo on CTV Kitchener and other cross over with television that The Beat doesn't have.  CTV Kitchener gave the changeover from KFUN to Bounce news coverage. 

KFUN (now Bounce) actually is more popular than Virgin as well with 7.1 share and 40,500 listeners Central Market. Old faithful CHYM still leader of the pack with a 12.8 share and a healthy 87,600 central cume.  For those that don't know, CHYM is very similar to CHFI. 

Has anyone noticed that Bounce seems to have toned down their music slightly?  They don't seem quite as heavy as the initial few days.  Maybe the former K-Lite made a few suggestions since they were likely the biggest and most successful of the 25 stations under the Bounce banner?  

June 5, 2021 9:33 am  #15

i happened to pass over 102.9 in my radio travels this morning about 7:30 and they were playing "Thunderstruck" by AC/DC and I thought to myself that should rattle the cage of any of the former K-Lite listeners who were still tuned to 102.9.

June 7, 2021 7:24 pm  #16

Storm wrote:

i happened to pass over 102.9 in my radio travels this morning about 7:30 and they were playing "Thunderstruck" by AC/DC and I thought to myself that should rattle the cage of any of the former K-Lite listeners who were still tuned to 102.9.

AC/DC tests huge with AC listeners. Was just always hard to make it work in the mix. Some tried.

June 7, 2021 7:53 pm  #17

paterson1 wrote:

Interesting here in K/W that Corus' 91.5 The Beat "beats" Bell's Virgin 105.3 by a good margin Central Market Reach.
4.3 share and 61,100 listeners vs Virgin with 3.5 share and 39,300.  Virgin and the former KFUN have an advantage over 91.5 with lots of promo on CTV Kitchener and other cross over with television that The Beat doesn't have.  CTV Kitchener gave the changeover from KFUN to Bounce news coverage.  

105.3 might be Bell's biggest screw-up. Under CHUM, that station had been successfully transitioning from Classic Rock to HotAC in a way that made sense to the market. They slowly evolved the music, the personalities...everything. When things became more centralized, Toronto management just couldn't accept that what they were doing was working. Gone was the PD who'd worked to make the station truly local along with many jocks and support staff. CHUM-FM's playlist was put on the air.

It tanked.

And surprise, putting their Big Brand CHR on against another station that's always been programmed locally is also tanking.

June 7, 2021 8:16 pm  #18

RadioAaron wrote:

Storm wrote:

AC/DC tests huge with AC listeners. Was just always hard to make it work in the mix. Some tried.

I like AC/DC, but whenever I hear a station play "You Shook Me All Night Long", that's an automatic dial turner for me. I suspect there's probably a fair number of people that feel the same way about Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'", too; although I guess not enough, and obviously not the same people that are polled to see what music tests well.

PJ

Toronto's ORIGINAL classic hits station! http://www.classichitsonline.com

June 7, 2021 8:25 pm  #19

Paul Jeffries wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Storm wrote:

I like AC/DC, but whenever I hear a station play "You Shook Me All Night Long", that's an automatic dial turner for me. I suspect there's probably a fair number of people that feel the same way about Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'", too; although I guess not enough, and obviously not the same people that are polled to see what music tests well.

PJ

I hate that Journey track, but it tests even better than AC/DC with AC listeners. CHFI plays it ~ 7x/week.

June 7, 2021 8:51 pm  #20

Nothing gets the blood pumping like a hit tune from Alternating Current / Direct Current. 

June 7, 2021 9:03 pm  #21

Looking at the London market CJBK AM is at the bottom with a 2.3 share. CFPL AM seems to be holding its own at 4.4.

Is the writing on the wall for CJBK with its 8 (or maybe 9) towers and the large parcel of land they occupy that is located close to the 401 and 402 highways. I believe the towers were replaced / rebuilt in the 1980's.

I am also surprised at the relatively good showing made by CKOT FM. Two or three years ago it significantly changed its format to attract a larger audience. Some people complained about that, but the ratings speak for themselves.

Last edited by darcyh (June 7, 2021 9:06 pm)