sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 2, 2021 4:34 pm  #1

Cancon At 50: The Changes Radio Still Wants

From the Globe & Mail:

Juno Awards celebrate 50 years, but Cancon’s own silver anniversary is the important one

"The Canadian Association of Broadcasters (CAB) wants the quota cut to 25 per cent, down from 35 to 40 per cent. According to CAB figures, Canadians listen to 10 to 12 per cent Canadian music on streaming services. A reduction in required Canadian music would bring the percentage closer in line with the listening habits of Canadians, the CAB argues. “It’s still substantial airplay,” the group’s president Kevin Desjardins tells The Globe and Mail...

"In general, terrestrial radio wants less restrictions on its programming. Statistics submitted by the CAB to the CRTC indicate that per capita hours tuned to radio declined to 13.9 per cent in 2019, from 17.6 per cent in 2010. “There was a time when radio was the primary promotion tool for artists,” Desjardins says. “That’s changed significantly over the past decade.”

(Note: this was not behind The Globe's firewall when posted, and I hope it still won't be if you click the link.)

June 2, 2021 5:14 pm  #2

Re: Cancon At 50: The Changes Radio Still Wants

The Leafs will win the Stanley Cup before the CRTC lowers Can-Con. 

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

June 2, 2021 7:17 pm  #3

Re: Cancon At 50: The Changes Radio Still Wants

Dale Patterson wrote:

The Leafs will win the Stanley Cup before the CRTC lowers Can-Con. 

I think there is a real possibility of some lowering or more flexibility regarding cancon in radio.  The CRTC did this years ago with specialty television channels.  It may not be everything the CAB wants but I wouldn't be surprised if some changes happen.  But be warned, it won't be a slam dunk because you will have some groups and organizations possibly some music organizations and artists that won't like it and will be vocal about any changes.