sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 31, 2021 9:54 pm  #1

.......and the Leafs choke once again,

just terrible. 

June 1, 2021 1:40 am  #2

Re: .......and the Leafs choke once again,

deja 💩 all over again

god bless the sports radio hosts who will be repeating chapter and verse of the same old same old " for the big game you need your best players to be your best players" "Carey Price got better and better and he got in their heads" etc all Tuesday and into Wednesday on Toronto's airwaves.

Cannot wait to hear the three amigos on TSN's OverDrive show break down the Leafs breakdown and ask then answer the big question "if they had Tavares are we looking at a different story and Toronto heading off to play Winnipeg"

Last edited by betaylored (June 1, 2021 1:41 am)

June 1, 2021 10:06 am  #3

One of the best lines I heard, The Toronto Maple Leafs are the only team that can make a Cleveland Browns fan feel lucky.

June 1, 2021 10:40 am  #4

I'm not a hockey fan, so I have no real stake in this. But as terrible as the loss is for Leaf fans, I'd much rather they win it in a non-COVID year. And that goes for anyone who winds up taking the Cup home. 

Consider: 

The Leafs played the same 6 teams over and over and over and over all season ad nauseam, thanks to the virus. They never once faced Boston, Pittsburgh, Washington, Tampa Bay, Carolina, Colorado, or any of the other challengers in the league. How does that represent a fair and real season? Would they still have been in first place in their division if they had to play some of the better U.S. teams? We'll never know, but it's a legitimate question. 

Whoever wins the Stanley Cup this year, it will always come with an asterisk. I would hope Leafs or any hockey fans would want a real regular season to sort out the champion and, as hungry as the locals are, not get it like this.

Maybe next year and if it IS next year, at least it won't have that "yeah, but..." added on to it. 

June 1, 2021 11:21 am  #5

What's the difference between and Habs fan and a Leaf fan...

Habs fans can watch past Stanley Cup championships in colour.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

June 1, 2021 11:38 am  #6

June 1, 2021 12:58 pm  #7

=12px   👍👍        =12px What's the difference between and Habs fan and a Leaf fan...

=12pxHabs fans can watch past Stanley Cup championships in colour.

Dale Patterson wrote:

June 1, 2021 1:09 pm  #8

Why do the Leafs always drink out of a glass???
Because the Habs have all of the cups... 

June 1, 2021 6:11 pm  #9

I was going to try for "how many Leaf players does it take to screw in a lightbulb" and then come up with a punchline about how even if they get the lightbulb in, it won't work because there's no power (play) but I can't be bothered to work hard enough to complete the joke strongly (just like the Leafs)

June 1, 2021 6:12 pm  #10

paterson1 wrote:

Why do the Leafs always drink out of a glass???
Because the Habs have all of the cups... 

👏👏👏😆

June 1, 2021 6:19 pm  #11

RadioActive wrote:

I'm not a hockey fan, so I have no real stake in this. But as terrible as the loss is for Leaf fans, I'd much rather they win it in a non-COVID year. And that goes for anyone who winds up taking the Cup home. (ETC)

I thought exactly the same all season long ... actually HOPING they wouldn't make it. I don't want to see them win a cup after what, IMO, amounts to a season of exhibition games. When (if, sigh) they next win a cup, it should be under a relatively comparable scenario as the last number of years. Anyhow, this ain't your grampa's 6-team NHL anymore (I enjoyed that too, but it's done like dinner).

June 1, 2021 9:14 pm  #12

Looking at the latest ratings released today from Numeris, the hockey playoffs didn't make the top 30 rated shows in English Canada May 17-23 2021. This is very strange since the playoffs have been showing up every week with reasonably healthy ratings.  In Quebec playoff games were rated #2 week of the 17th to 23rd. .  Did Numeris make a mistake this week with the English top 30? 

Last edited by paterson1 (June 1, 2021 10:04 pm)

June 2, 2021 2:01 pm  #13

Just think, the last time the Leafs won the Cup, CHUM-FM was still playing classical music.

Maybe next year.

June 2, 2021 2:30 pm  #14

The Leafs last won the Stanley Cup so long ago that:

- LBJ was President
- Star Trek had just finished its first season
- The Beatles hadn't yet released Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, though they would do so later the same month
- Highway 401 hadn't yet been completed in Eastern Ontario

June 2, 2021 2:38 pm  #15

Highly Skilled but Lowly Willed.

June 2, 2021 3:52 pm  #16

Back when the Leafs played the Flyers in the playoffs in the mid 1970's, I always remember the Philadelphia Signman aka Dave Leonardi, holding one up that  simply stated "Even though It's Spring, Leafs are Falling" Still works in 2021.

June 2, 2021 9:49 pm  #17

At least I have '62, '63, '64, and '67.