sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 21, 2021 9:39 am  #1

"Radio Marsden" Isn't About David Or CFNY

This isn't the most important post you'll read here today, but I couldn't help but be amused when I discovered a "station" in England named Radio Marsden. But it has nothing to do with our esteemed SOWNY member named David, his time at CFNY or his current enterprise, the worthwhile NYthespirit.com

So what is Radio Marsden? Turns out it's named after the Royal Marsden Hospitals in the UK and is one of several of a curious British tradition called "Hospital Radio," which broadcasts to patients and staff in those health centres. 

And believe it or not, for such a limited audience, the programming doesn't look that bad. There's an All Request Show, an Album Show - that plays an entire LP from start to finish, The Cheesy Hour, 60 minutes of kitschy strange music, a program that plays nothing but movie music, another from the stage and screen, several oldies shows and The Vault, an eclectic mix of music from the 40s, 50s and 60s. 

Show Schedule

I'm not sure why hospital radio never caught on in North America, but it's an interesting concept. Fortunately, you don't need to be an in-patient to hear Radio Marsden. It broadcasts on the Internet and the live feed can be found here. I'm sure its Canadian namesake would be proud of the effort.

About Radio Marsden