sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 19, 2021 4:26 pm  #1

Boston Morning Man Quits After 40 Yrs. In On Air Rant Over Censorship

Matt Siegel has been one of the biggest names in Boston radio for four decades, and frequently leads the ratings in what is a very competitive large market. But there are concerns he won't be doing the gig anymore, after claiming management was trying to censor him and not let him talk about the subjects of his choosing. 

So what was the verboten topic that sent this veteran off the deep end? Hard to imagine, but it was Demi Lovato.

There are now reports that he will, in fact, be contractually obligated to return on Thursday. But would the station still want him? - unless it was all a giant stunt. Doesn't sound like it, though. (Some very poor audio of the rant was captured by a listener and posted on Twitter. It's hard to hear it among all the noise, but if you want to listen to it, you can find it here.) It's hard to believe a guy would throw away a lucrative 40-year career at the same station for this. 

Did Matty Siegel Just Sign-Off At WXKS (Kiss 108)/Boston -- And Has He Already Reversed That Decision?

May 19, 2021 7:18 pm  #2

Re: Boston Morning Man Quits After 40 Yrs. In On Air Rant Over Censorship

So this guy works at Kiss 108, Boston's #1 Music Station and he thinks he is a journalist with something important to say??  This is so fake it is pathetic.  And the way he goes on about how good he is and has had the number one morning show and how he is so much better than the competition.....sad state of broadcasting in Boston if this is the highest rated radio morning show....but hey they are in ratings right now and for a day or two Matt and the station will be the talk of everyone in the radio business....This is a staged and manufactured morning show ratings stunt  in my opinion.   And why was the rest of the show with no announcer after he walked off?  He has two co-hosts, what the hell were they doing for the rest of the show? I am sure Matt will be back...and who cares... 

May 20, 2021 10:11 am  #3

The apparent conclusion to this story: The guy was back on the air Thursday. He insists in this Boston Herald article that it wasn't a publicity stunt, that he really meant it and that the station brass convinced him to come back. 

“It was not a stunt. I was ready to leave but the company reached out and said ‘Please don’t leave, we have your back,'” he told the newspaper. 

I also have my doubts about the reasons behind it, but if it WAS a PR stunt, it certainly worked. This was a major story on every Boston-area TV station and newspaper, and I also saw it on outlets ranging from Newsweek and USA Today to Australian and British news sites. So if he was looking to see his name in print, he certainly got what he wanted. 

Short-lived KISS off, Matt Siegel back on the air today

May 20, 2021 12:13 pm  #4

None of us live in the Boston market... but things I do know, Kiss 108 and Matty do hold their own very well.   Both are a heritage station as well as their morning show is a heritage show.    Musically you may not be a fan, but in Boston ratings do echo what Matty's flip out said.    After listening to the audio, I felt it was handled well.   It sounded more of a difference of opinion but did swing back positive mentioning it was not personal and liked his bosses.    It sounds like he may have let things get to him and instead of going home and cooling down, he let it spill on the air.    If it wasn't who it was, I'm sure they would have been gone, but because it didn't go how most do in these cases down the point of no return...   He was allowed back.    I'm sure he will be playing it safe from this point forward and keeping these issues off the air.  At the end of his contract I also would not be surprised if he considers retirement...   

It to me showed he is a real human....   nothing is worse than hosts who fake it all day.  There is just too many on the dial now who are sadly.  

Last edited by radiokid (May 20, 2021 12:15 pm)

May 20, 2021 1:01 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

... and that the station brass convinced him to come back. 

Right...  maybe so.  However, the cynic in me thinks it was more along the lines of his agent and/or lawyer who advised him that it would probably be in his best interest to return...

May 20, 2021 1:28 pm  #6

Fake ratings stunt sorry.  He talks about how he couldn't care less about Demi Lovato and the comments on gender non-binary, but yet this is why he "walked out."  He just wants to be a funny comic who tells it like it is. 

Garbage like this cheapens radio and makes it seem like a low rent hack type of entertainment.  Even worse when you are Boston's most popular morning program, shows no class but lots of ego from the host and station.   The fact that he names other stations and personalities as light weights and goes on how he is the" biggest thing in the history of Boston radio" and "biggest of all time"  really shows this guys priorities.  It's all about him...

And as predicted he was back on the air today, and he acted like nothing happened, all seems forgiven.  He says he is back on the show because he needs the money.  Yeah, this clown really relates to the little guy doesn't he?  Cheap publicity stunt from a 71 year old who is likely starting to lose his audience and edge.  And the fact that this fake non story gets  coverage from media all over is pretty sad too.

May 20, 2021 2:54 pm  #7

paterson1 wrote:

.. shows no class but lots of ego ..

ever catch the Bruins play-by-play announcer Jack Edwards?