sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 19, 2021 1:51 pm  #2

Re: HBO Max with ads to launch

All this would be a great thing if only Canadians were allowed to subscribe to streaming services like HBO Max, Hulu and Peacock. But as usual, we're completely shut out of several of the major services because of the border and rights, and if we want any of these shows, they've almost all been gobbled up by Crave. 

I'm just curious - has anyone with a VPN tried to subscribe to these U.S.-only services in Canada? Did it work? And did you find it was worth the extra dollars? I have a friend who has had Dish Network for decades and loves it. Even though they lost HBO a few years ago and he pays a small fortune in U.S. dollar conversion every month. To him, it's still worth the money to keep his bucks away from Bell and/or Rogers.  

May 19, 2021 2:43 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

I'm just curious - has anyone with a VPN tried to subscribe to these U.S.-only services in Canada? Did it work? And did you find it was worth the extra dollars? I have a friend who has had Dish Network for decades and loves it. Even though they lost HBO a few years ago and he pays a small fortune in U.S. dollar conversion every month. To him, it's still worth the money to keep his bucks away from Bell and/or Rogers.  

IPTV works just as well, but I keep Rogers Cable because I like having something that can pause and rewind live TV. 
IPTV is great, but not reliable for that sort of thing.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 19, 2021 4:26 pm  #4

Running Nord I did a 30 day trial with Hulu, they want me back LOL.  No cable here.  One thing I did notice.. sometimes setting the VPN on an individual device won't work for certain services.. have to make the entire house look like it's in a different country.  Have done it for the odd program out of Australia.  
Fragmentation is just growing non-supported official Kodi apps.

May 19, 2021 4:31 pm  #5

I'm curious about what happened. Why did you stop after the trial? Was it just too much money and hassle? Or was there nothing good enough to watch to make it worth paying in U.S. funds? Or was there just one show you wanted to see, binged it and left before charges kicked in?

One other question - did they ask for a U.S. address or phone number when you signed up? If so, what did you use to fill in those blanks? 

May 19, 2021 7:11 pm  #6

I've been using a VPN for years, but the stumbling block for me in attempting to subscribe to US services has been that they recognize my credit card as Canadian.

May 20, 2021 5:30 am  #7

RadioActive wrote:

I'm curious about what happened. Why did you stop after the trial? Was it just too much money and hassle? Or was there nothing good enough to watch to make it worth paying in U.S. funds? Or was there just one show you wanted to see, binged it and left before charges kicked in?

One other question - did they ask for a U.S. address or phone number when you signed up? If so, what did you use to fill in those blanks? 

Hulu had just started up, not enough content to keep me interested.  I didn't need a US address at the time but when I have needed one, I just use a friends address in the US.  If I remember, I didn't need an address at all to get Hulu when it started.  As far as payments, it was $5.99 US at the time so not enough to be a hassle.  When Canadian bank credit cards were not accepted I just used an AMEX.  Appears a non-brick and mortar CC will work for many things US.

May 20, 2021 8:45 am  #8

RadioAaron wrote:

I've been using a VPN for years, but the stumbling block for me in attempting to subscribe to US services has been that they recognize my credit card as Canadian.

Once this pandemic clears, make a trip to the States, buy a disposable credit card...problem solved! 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.