sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 10, 2016 9:31 pm  #1

Former radio announcer Danny Nicholson retiring from the TTC

The man who has been the voice of safety and courtesy on the TTC for nearly 20 years is retiring on Friday after hundreds of public service announcements.
Danny Nicholson, 59, will no longer be recording the reminders to riders to keep their feet off the subway seats and their cigarettes off the system.
Full story at http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/transportation/2016/03/10/voice-of-the-ttc-fades-to-retirement.html

March 10, 2016 9:32 pm  #2

Re: Former radio announcer Danny Nicholson retiring from the TTC

Wow, I remember him as a reporter at 680.  Still smile when I hear him doing the subway announcements.  Hope he has a great retirement.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

March 10, 2016 9:35 pm  #3

Danny's entry From Spiritofradio.ca
December 2001

---------------------
Surprised to stumble across this site, especially to see my picture. I worked at NY from 1981-1987.....started in the old house on Main Street, and then moved over to Kennedy Road....Also worked at Cfny as a student back in 1978, doing a student news program. Was at the station the day Dave Marsden was hired....To make way for Dave, they let Lee Eckley go (Lee was a classmate at Humber College, along with Ivar Hamilton) Lee ended up at Chumfm..is still there....

My fondest memory....A Saturday morning news shift....I arrived at 5:00am, and was met by a weird man, armed with a crowbar...

He held the crowbar to my neck, and then told me he was going to smash all the equipment.....

Weighing the alternative, I suggested he proceed to smash...

He let me go, so I ran into the old AM studio...a guy by the name of Johnny Rogers was on the air....since he was talking on the air at the time, I headed for the FM control room, fearing Samatha Taylor was on he all-night shift...walking into the control room, I was relieved to find big Nick Charles behind the Mike.....we called the cops...Nick put on a long record, we grabbed a broomstick, and headed down the hall.....we were met by two Peel cops, guns drawn.

The culprit used the crowbar to smash the outside door.....great memory....

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

March 12, 2016 1:44 pm  #4

Good guy, Danny -- he covered lots of sports for us when I was SD at BN...