sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 9, 2021 2:48 pm  #31

Re: Do You Still Have Your Old VCR Or Other Equipment?

Regarding those old tapes mentioned by RA. I would say it's still worthwhile trying to hear them. Old tapes do become brittle sometimes but once spooled should be ok to play and if they break scotch tape will work for a temp splice. 

Regarding the speed issue I will offer a tip that was given to me years ago on the old old old version of this very board by Peter The K. Use audacity to record and then easily adjust the speed after the recording is complete.

I love going through old tapes and have acquired some dating back to the 1950's and have found all kinds of interesting recordings on them including air checks.

I have never really had any problems with the tapes I used for recordings that range from 1972 into the 1990's. Just one tape developed this strange problem where it would develop an echo and record over material.

With the tapes that I have acquired there's 3 main problems.

1. Sticky shed on tapes from the late 1970's and early 80's mainly. As soon as this problem arises best to transfer to digital ASAP if possible and never use the tape again. Can do damage to tape heads.

2. A fluffing problem where the tape plays fine but fluffs up and you may notice the take up reel getting filled up half way through the tape. Best to just cut the tape half way to avoid a tape spillage mess. I have found this on just a few tapes from the late 60's and early 70's.

3. I have a bunch of Sony tapes from the 1980's that squeal intermittently and it's not just a mechanical problem as it comes through on the transfer as well.

Keep a bottle of Isopropyl alcohol 99% handy along with q-tips to clean the heads.

You never know maybe there is a recording from CHUM from 1964.

Last edited by Fitz (May 9, 2021 2:50 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

May 9, 2021 3:43 pm  #32

The Radio Shack Weather Cube. Got it for two bucks at a church yard sales. I love church yard sale. The sellers don't have any personal stake in what they're selling. It's all donated.

They're all volunteers and they just want to hurry up and sell the stuff and get the heck outa there.

Now, if I could only find the matching Time Cube - - 

Last edited by turkeytop (May 9, 2021 3:43 pm)

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

May 9, 2021 3:48 pm  #33

May 9, 2021 3:55 pm  #34

RadioActive wrote:

Is this what you're talking about?

That's it exactly.

May 9, 2021 4:00 pm  #35

I don't know how old that page is, but it says you can have it for 99 cents! Not to get all Drew Carey on you, but if you really want one of them, the price is right!

May 9, 2021 4:14 pm  #36

RadioActive wrote:

I don't know how old that page is, but it says you can have it for 99 cents! Not to get all Drew Carey on you, but if you really want one of them, the price is right!

It says "You are bidding on it" Looks like some kind of online auction with 99 cents as an opening bid.

You are bidding on a vintage Realistic TIMEKUBE (by Radio Shack), ca. 1970s. This unit features a simulated woodgrain cabinet, a telescopic antenna, and a volume control, and is designed to receive WWV time broadcasts on the shortwave band at frequencies of 5, 10, and 15 megahertz. The WWV station at Fort Collins, Colorado constantly broadcasts Coordinated Universal Time (also called Greenwich Mean Time) by ticking away each second, and announcing the time each minute. This unit is in excellent cosmetic condition, and the electronics work. The only defects are that the switches do not make good contact and should be cleaned. The battery terminal (easily replaced) appears to have contact problems as well. Operates on one 9-volt battery. Size (not including antenna): 4.5"w x 3"h x 3"d. The antenna is 40" long when fully extended. Selling as-is, for parts or repair. Would make an excellent project for a collector of vintage electronics. You can own this great piece of 1970s vintage electronics sstarting at $0.99 with no reserve.

May 9, 2021 4:47 pm  #37

My late grandfather had a good quality reel-to-reel tape player along with a large collection of reel tapes and a stereo system from Germany. I think it all dated from the early 1960s. Sadly it was all destroyed by an oil leak.

May 9, 2021 7:37 pm  #38

My DX 370 turned 26 years old last Christmas. My wife gave it to me for Christmas in 1994. I think Radio Shack was clearing them out for around $90.

We were dirt poor back then. She must have been saving her money for months.

Shortly after that I started a new job that involved a lot of travel and a lot of nights away from home. The radios in hotel rooms are notoriously bad, so this radio became my travel companion.

It's a little old and beat up looking now, but I still use it every day.

May 11, 2021 1:30 pm  #39

Greetings All.

For those of you that have old tapes and they are starting to shed, here is a way to reduce or even correct the problem.  The issue is called Tape Stiction or Sticky Shed Syndrome, and can be corrected by "baking" the tape for many hours at a low temperature, like around 120 to 140 degrees F (50 to 60 degrees C).  We did this at CHUM many years ago when we digitized many of our old tapes that were 20+ years old!  We used a food dehydrator and then let it do its magic overnight.  We were then able to get the audio from the old tapes.  You will only get a few tries to get the audio in reality, but it does work for most tapes!  This may not work very well on some of the thinner tapes but it worked great for all of the professional Ampex type tapes we had (406, 806, 456, etc).  Didn't try this with video tape but it should work with this as well.  Just may take longer in the "oven".

Here is a link to read more about this issue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sticky-shed_syndrome

May 11, 2021 2:55 pm  #40

I've been lucky and have only encountered sticky-shed syndrome on a couple of reels that were just LP dubs.  Likewise, I've actually encountered it on a pre-recorded cassette.  Standard recordable cassettes have help up amazingly well through the years.  Some have a bit of print-through but it actually isn't anything objectionable.

I'm told the food dehydrator works wonders.  You can't really overdo it.  But I do remember reading somewhere to be careful about the food dehydrator you use to make sure the motor doesn't create a magnetic field that will erase your tape.

May 11, 2021 4:00 pm  #41

I should clarify regarding my post up thread. The reel to reel tapes that I recorded on from 1972 to some point in the 90's are almost all problem free. I have only had one bad tape. The sticky, squeaky and fluffy problems that I have encountered have been on tapes that I have acquired from antique shops,  garage sales and thirty shops. 

Was never brave enough to try baking but was more or less able to successfully transfer before complete oxidization disaster.

Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky Mick and Tich would be happy and I'm pretty sure I have "Bend it" recorded on reel to reel from a radio station.

Last edited by Fitz (May 11, 2021 4:04 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

May 11, 2021 5:26 pm  #42

May 12, 2021 1:35 pm  #43

Had to call a business place today. I accidentally called the FAX line. Din't know anyone even used FAX anymore.

May 12, 2021 1:37 pm  #44

Doctors offices, pharmacies and hospitals still use them. They're seen as being more secure. I once had to send a legal document to a judge. Yep, had to be by fax only or they wouldn't accept it. The hard part was finding one!