sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 10, 2016 2:01 am  #1

More Firings At City TV

David Eddie, whose wife Pam Seatle is a reporter/anchor at City TV, let it slip on his RB night show Wednesday that Rogers has wielded the axe yet again, firing at least 11 employees. It's not immediately clear if they all came from the newsroom, but it's a common target. Rogers announced earlier this year that it was planning layoffs, leaving workers there fearing for their jobs for months. For those who lost their employment in an ever shrinking broadcast job market, those fears came true, after weeks of everyone toiling in a terrible atmosphere.

A source there told me a few weeks ago it didn't appear any of the looming cuts would come from the Toronto properties. So much for that claim.

I understand layoffs can happen and no one has jobs for life, especially in this industry, but Rogers has been at this far too often since taking over City about a decade ago. Hundreds have been terminated since 2009. And it may not be over yet. It seems constantly cutting costs involves getting rid of what should be their most valuable assets - the people who make the place work. Work, sadly, is the one thing nearly a dozen people no longer have.

March 10, 2016 5:28 am  #2

Re: More Firings At City TV

Gord Martineau retired. He's over 65. Great excuse to get rid of him.
There have been some new faces on CityNews. Some are actually 680 news reporters reporting for CityNews while at least one face is new, and most likely working for less money than whoever they replaced.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 10, 2016 8:31 am  #3

This must be great for colleges offering radio, t v, and journalism courses.  The lineups must be all but dried up...and shriveled away to dust.

And why wouldn't they be?

How would they attract students?

Looking for a job with NO guarantees?  Perhaps a future with a [hopefully] 9 year shelf life before the future suddenly evaporates?  Maybe a job which requires you to take a 2nd, part-time, job in order to barely make ends meet is right up your alley?  Looking to work for people who no longer understand the industry and who began selling it out as many as 25 years ago and who are totally finishing it off now?  Then radio and TV loom large on your immediate horizon.  Get in now while the course still exists.  The wealth of teachers and professionals on our faculty with eons of experience is oh-so long and impressive.  The only thing that isn't will be your future in media and any related job possibilities currently available and contained therein.

The only requirement in terms of your eligibility?  You must have 0 expectations...or less.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[x college is not responsible for the content of this ad...nor the results of having attempted, let alone completed, said course.]

Last edited by Old Codger (March 10, 2016 8:34 am)

March 10, 2016 9:27 am  #4

Hugh Burrill...sportscaster CityToronto/Sportsnet is gone.

March 10, 2016 12:19 pm  #5

Old Codger wrote:

Looking for a job with NO guarantees?  Perhaps a future with a [hopefully] 9 year shelf life before the future suddenly evaporates?  Maybe a job which requires you to take a 2nd, part-time, job in order to barely make ends meet is right up your alley?  Looking to work for people who no longer understand the industry and who began selling it out as many as 25 years ago and who are totally finishing it off now?  Then radio and TV loom large on your immediate horizon.   

You said it Old Codger......these colleges may want to add a new course to the study lineup. The course will be entitled....The Good Old Days....when if you got fired you just picked up  the phone and hustled a new gig.  When if you got fired you just called your buddy down the dial and he vouched for you and you got an interview or two.

The class would be made mandatory.

And I can visualize the young 18 year old students sitting listening to their professors...their mouths agape and their eyes wide...getting their history lesson on how things used to be in The Good Old Days...

Last edited by unclefester (March 10, 2016 12:22 pm)

March 10, 2016 12:58 pm  #6

city tv firings.... everywhere!

March 10, 2016 1:02 pm  #7

Radiowiz wrote:

Gord Martineau retired. He's over 65. Great excuse to get rid of him.

Which makes this even more baffling. Gord's exit will save Rogers a small fortune. He's been there 39 years and his salary reflects that length of service -  in addition to being the de facto face of the station for so many decades. I was once told that Martineau was the highest paid local anchor in Toronto. And I have reason to believe that's true, possibly even into the seven figure range. So that's a huge chunk of change Rogers gets back right there. Why let so many others go? 

I know Hugh Burrill. A better person you could never meet. I hope TSN gives him a shot. It would serve Sportsnet right.

March 10, 2016 2:43 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

[  
 Gord's exit will save Rogers a small fortune.  -    So that's a huge chunk of change Rogers gets back right there. Why let so many others go? 

...because  Rogers wants more.....MORE.....M-O-R-E !!!!!!!!!!!

March 10, 2016 2:52 pm  #9

unclefester wrote:

...because  Rogers wants more.....MORE.....M-O-R-E !!!!!!!!!!!

In years past, I used to think that those who griped about the 1%ers were misguided. Now I know better. It's all around us. The jobs aren't all around us, but the greed at the top sure is.

March 10, 2016 3:21 pm  #10

Radio/TV is big business. They get bigger, take risks (and lose - see Rogers NHL deal), and jobs become subsidized. As the company gets bigger, so do the taxes. Who suffers? The Hugh Burrills and many others. The trend will continue as companies expand, the salaries will decrease, less jobs will be available to veterans and graduates, and taxes will rise on all of us. 

March 10, 2016 3:28 pm  #11

These discussions bring up an interesting point.  Imagine the pressure on private owners who actually do balance between profit and people.   We sure read a lot about people shitting on the 'conglomerates' but it needs to be acknowledged that rather than blindly chasing profits, there are a lot, (not all, believe me) of awesome 'family' run broadcast companies in the country who need to get a damn site more recognition than they do for putting operations ahead of profit.   

The Slaights and Waters families, among others, looking back, made a good buck, but understood the business well enough to never kill the golden goose.  

There are also some lunatics who to this day make the conglomerates look like snow white, but that's another post for another day .

Last edited by ig (March 10, 2016 3:29 pm)

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

March 10, 2016 6:39 pm  #12

ig wrote:

The Slaights and Waters families, among others, looking back, made a good buck, but understood the business well enough to never kill the golden goose.  

There are also some lunatics who to this day make the conglomerates look like snow white, but that's another post for another day .

I don't completely agree.  In fact I really disagree ig.  As I said the media sellout began at least 25 years ago.  Family businesses and the nepotism that THAT fault injected into the equation wasn't always better than the corporate shyte we see oozing away now.  No...family businesses get way too much credit as far as I'm concerned.  The only thing that makes them smarter than the mega twits of this day and age?  They were smart enough to get out while there was still something left to sell.  They picked the fruit bearing industry dry.  Now idiots run the show...and they'll do it right into the bottomless ditch.

March 10, 2016 7:16 pm  #13

RadioActive wrote:

I know Hugh Burrill. A better person you could never meet. I hope TSN gives him a shot. It would serve Sportsnet right.

TSN? 
You mean the same Bell that just went through all the trouble of flushing out 380 people? 
There are some former sportscasters for CTV Toronto news that might be considered first, if the need is there at all.

If lucky, the next possible opening will be on the radio side. 

Last edited by Radiowiz (March 10, 2016 7:19 pm)

March 17, 2016 9:01 am  #14

James Cybulski...ex of TSN is now ex of Rogers Sportsnet.

March 18, 2016 3:44 am  #15

Johnny B wrote:

James Cybulski...ex of TSN is now ex of Rogers Sportsnet.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCx3EUMurpe/