sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 5, 2021 2:14 pm  #1

After One Month of All Music Kelowna's 103.9 Announces On Air Line Up

Surprisingly, there have only been a couple of radio stations in Canada close up due to COVID and all of the economic upheaval.  One station that did close down was in Kelowna BC.  However less than a year later, the station was back with a new owner, format, and now after a month of playing straight music 103.9 The Lake presents their new on air line up.  Some names will be familiar...Story from Broadcast Dialogue.
https://broadcastdialogue.com/kelownas-103-9-the-lake-to-debut-veteran-talent-lineup/

Last edited by paterson1 (May 5, 2021 2:15 pm)

May 5, 2021 3:22 pm  #2

Re: After One Month of All Music Kelowna's 103.9 Announces On Air Line Up

In the real estate business, there is a saying that "no matter how bad is the market, and even if there is no market, you NEVER, EVER walk away from approved (for development) land. 

The same can be said for a broadcaster.    It took someone a number of years and a whole lotta dough and arm twisting to get it going.    A  financial recession or a global pandemic aren't valid reasons to walk away.   

Even if it is located in a one-hearse town, someone is bound to come along and snap it up.    

Last edited by geo (May 5, 2021 3:24 pm)

May 5, 2021 8:39 pm  #3

Re: After One Month of All Music Kelowna's 103.9 Announces On Air Line Up

Perfect. Paul has an uphill battle where he's competing as a stand-alone in a market that has too many commercial stations in the first place, but so far he's done everything to wind up as one of the stations in the black. I was cynical about this, but it's looking good.

Larsen has assembled an on-air team of veteran radio talent that will see long-running local morning show duo Andy & TJ host weekdays from 6 to 9 a.m. The husband and wife team, aka Andy James and Tamara “TJ” Joel, were formerly heard on [i]Bell Media’s 101.5 EZ Rock (CILK-FM) in the market, up until December when the station rebranded as The Move. They’d been hosting the morning show together since 2003.[/i]

Last edited by RadioAaron (May 5, 2021 8:39 pm)