sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 15, 2021 4:31 pm  #1

CRTC Orders Cellphone Savings. Will The Telcos Try To Undermine It?

Remember when the CRTC demanded that the major cable providers offer a low cost "skinny basic" package? The big telcos hated it and immediately figured out a way to offer something so unattractive that almost no one bought it. 

So you can bet there are meetings going on in boardrooms Thursday afternoon after the CRTC came out with a new ruling aimed straight at the huge phone companies on cellular rates: they not only have to allow competitors access to their networks, but they also have to offer a variety of cheaper packages to ensure Canadians can try and save a few bucks. 

A few years ago, a similar order came out about Internet access, which B, R & T took to court and got struck down, forcing providers like Tek Savvy to raise their rates. 

In its ruling, the CRTC didn't mince words about the overcharging of Canadians for cell phone service, which the providers have always denied. 

"...the Commission has determined that prices and profits for those providers are high and not fully accounted for when looking at the investments they make in networks. The Commission has therefore determined that the national wireless service providers together exercise market power in the provision of retail mobile wireless services..."

Here's where the cable comparison comes in. The Commission has also ordered that the Big Telcos initiate several lower cost plans, to try to give subscribers a break. They won't be good for everyone, but if you don't overuse your cellphone, they may just be worth your while. Here they are:

LOW COST PLANS

• Maximum $35∕month
  • Unlimited Canada-wide incoming/outgoing calls and text messages
  • Ability to send/receive multimedia messages
  • Minimum 3 GB of data
  • Bring your own device

OCCASIONAL USE PLANS

• Maximum $15∕month
  • Minimum 100 minutes for outgoing Canada-wide calls
  • Unlimited incoming calls
  • Unlimited incoming/outgoing text messages
  • 250 MB of data
  • No data overage charges
  • Bring your own device 

PRE-PAID OCCASIONAL USE PLANS

• Maximum $100/year
  • Rate plans and add-ons do not expire prior to 365 days
  • 400 anytime local minutes (maximum $0.15/minute after exceeding the limit)
  • 400 incoming/outgoing text messages (maximum $0.50/message after exceeding the limit)
  • $0.50/minute for long-distance calls incoming from Canada and outgoing to either Canada or the continental US, in addition to local airtime
  • Bring your own device

How will they get around these new edicts? We'll see, but don't think they aren't gathering right now to talk about just that and make them as unattractive as possible. 

CRTC Announcement

April 15, 2021 4:48 pm  #2

Re: CRTC Orders Cellphone Savings. Will The Telcos Try To Undermine It?

By the way, the telcos don't have much time to make (or challenge) these changes. They're supposed to be in place and offered to consumers no later than July 14th of this year.  

April 15, 2021 6:16 pm  #3

Wow! Those are actually really great price points given the features. 

However, as you alluded to... "Extra charges could include: taxes, device subsidies, connection fees, long-distance, additional airtime and pay-per-use charges"

Guaranteed it will be a $35/m plan with a $20/m connection fee. Almost exactly what happened when they said "you can have basic tv for $25 (but the mandatory set top box rental will be $15)." The CRTC should've set a maximum on those extra charges. 

April 15, 2021 7:17 pm  #4

It's not just the telcos who are unhappy with the announcement. 

CRTC ruling on cellphone carriers doesn’t go far enough, critics say

April 15, 2021 7:45 pm  #5

I have a pre-paid 1 year plan with Freedom.

The plan provides 5GB data for the entire year, unlimited Canada-wide calling, unlimited text & multimedia messages, and voicemail for $179 for the year ($15/mo).  Combined with widely available WiFi, I get cost effective service when I need it.

I purposely don't watch numerous Youtube videos, stream podcasts, use Spotify, nor stroll through Facebook when I don't have WiFi available.

While 5GB may not be a lot of data for some people it is certainly sufficient based upon my past usage.  If I do go over the 5GB limit, data continues, albeit at a very low data rate, and no additional cost.

I brought "my own device" with an up-to-date Samsung phone I bought at Staples for $200.  It doesn't have 5G capability but I don't need it.

I think it's an attractive plan.

Too bad it's future might be in doubt with the proposed Rogers/Shaw takeover

April 15, 2021 8:17 pm  #6

In Phase wrote:

Too bad it's future might be in doubt with the proposed Rogers/Shaw takeover

And with the CRTC's announcement today, maybe, just maybe, it's a sign that they won't let this deal go through. I'll believe it when it happens (or doesn't happen, as the case may be) but I would love to see the Commission, the Competition Bureau et. al. tell Rogers and Shaw to get lost.