sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 30, 2021 10:46 am  #1

Whatever Happened To CFRB Overnight Newscaster John Elston?

He holds the record for longest overnight newscaster at CFRB (a record never likely to be broken, since they no longer have anyone local and live overnight.) John Elston toiled on the graveyard shift for more than 18 years, doing yeoman's work for 1010, when he disappeared in 2009. Many here may remember him. 

So what is he doing now? The answer may surprise you. The former newscaster is a current school bus driver in the Niagara Region, where he's worked for Sharpe Bus Lines for the past four years. 

Talk about a change of profession. He went from doing overnights to getting up early in the mornings and from driving the newsroom to driving kids. He currently lives in St. Catharines. 

I always really liked his style and thought he was a great newsman. I'm sad to see he's out of the industry, but at least he's found a gig that isn't going to disappear tomorrow. Plus, I assume he gets his summers off!

John Elston on Linked-In.com    

March 30, 2021 2:35 pm  #2

Re: Whatever Happened To CFRB Overnight Newscaster John Elston?

Very interesting - I recognized the name right away, but hadn't thought of him for a while! He was one of the rare 1010 news personalities not named Dave (at various times, that group included Dave Trafford, David Bent, Dave Agar, Dave McKee, Dave Bradley, Dave Woodard and David Craig - 'The Daves I Know' indeed!).

Always appreciated his calm/mellow but informative delivery - great vibe for the overnight.

I see his bus line linked to this video message of his amongst their other drivers and the voice is definitely familiar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLUPSOebilc