sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 21, 2021 2:33 pm  #1

What Will Jays TV Sound Like On The Radio? Your 1st Chance To Find Out

I noticed that the Fan 590 is simulcasting the TV audio of the Jays for the very first time in the pre-season on Sunday afternoon. Is it working? 

In my early estimation, yes and no. So far, I've been able to follow most of the action, but one thing that seems to be causing some problems is the throw to break and the re-join. At the end of one recent inning, Buck Martinez failed to give the score, likely because it's always available on the screen. But that doesn't work when you're listening to it on the radio. (As it turned out, at the time I tuned in, the Jays were trailing the Yankees 7-0, so maybe it was better we didn't know!) 

On the rejoin after the break, the radio side still had the out-of-town scoreboard sponsored, so they have to get that in before going back to the TV audio. I can see this being an issue all season long if they don't coordinate it very carefully. 

So far, there hasn't been any sign of an instant replay, but I can't see (both literally and figuratively) how that can possibly be made to work on the radio. 

So does it work? If you get a chance, tune in for an inning on Sunday and judge for yourself. So far, I'm not impressed - not to mention I've never been a fan of Martinez as a play-by-play broadcaster. I'm sure Dan Shulman will be better, but for those of us who listen more often than watch, it's going to be a long season.  

March 21, 2021 3:12 pm  #2

Re: What Will Jays TV Sound Like On The Radio? Your 1st Chance To Find Out

There were at least two instances today where the TV broadcast showed graphics that were of no use to the listeners on the radio. The first one was when Pat Tabler was urging viewers to "watch" some of the hittable pitches that were thrown by Tanner Roark. The second one was when the TV broadcast showed a graphic of Bo Bichette's stats as a shortstop and Buck and Pat were saying "let's take a look". Yeah, that doesn't work too well for the radio listeners.

Also there was an entire inning where they spent talking to the manager, Charlie Montoyo, and almost completely ignored what was going on in the game. Well, that works for the TV viewers and, while the interview with the manager is interesting to both listeners and viewers, I'm sure the listeners would want to know what's happening in the game while it is going on.

March 21, 2021 3:48 pm  #3

And for those wondering exactly how the Blue Jays telecasts/radio broadcasts will work this season, Dan Shulman outlined it on Twitter.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1373679490056982529.html

Last edited by eladb (March 21, 2021 4:10 pm)

March 21, 2021 4:08 pm  #4

Thanks, that was very interesting, especially this part:

"As long as the Jays are playing home games in Dunedin, Buck and Tabby will call those games from TD ballpark down there. I'll call the road games, with either Buck or Tabby. I'll call them from a studio at Sportsnet, and Buck/Tabby will... 

...have a setup in their homes for those games. So this will take a bit of getting used to, since, other than the Dunedin games, we won't be at the park, and the 2 announcers won't be in the same place."

So, they won't be on the road and will be calling the games from home, like last year. So much for Rogers' explanation that they cancelled the radio crew because of the pandemic. If one group of broadcasters can do it from home, so can another. I think Shulman just accidentally outed the blatant BS of his bosses. 

Not that we didn't already know that.     

March 21, 2021 6:55 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

Thanks, that was very interesting, especially this part:

"As long as the Jays are playing home games in Dunedin, Buck and Tabby will call those games from TD ballpark down there. I'll call the road games, with either Buck or Tabby. I'll call them from a studio at Sportsnet, and Buck/Tabby will... 

...have a setup in their homes for those games. So this will take a bit of getting used to, since, other than the Dunedin games, we won't be at the park, and the 2 announcers won't be in the same place."

So, they won't be on the road and will be calling the games from home, like last year. So much for Rogers' explanation that they cancelled the radio crew because of the pandemic. If one group of broadcasters can do it from home, so can another. I think Shulman just accidentally outed the blatant BS of his bosses. 

Not that we didn't already know that.     

Whoops!

March 21, 2021 10:46 pm  #6

I watched the the first six innings and listened to the last three, with the TV sound turned down. The down side of this type of radio broadcasting was Buck and Pat and the replays.  Then it was the "colour" pictures going into the innings....the harbour, downtown Dunedin,  And of course Ben Wagner's tour of the improvements at the ballpark.  But the number one thing in my opinion are the graphics with stats that baseball is famous for. On radio, these tidbits of information are not there as the TV announcers don't mention all of the information in the graphic. The radio presentation itself was not a smooth one.  A CP news summary popped in as well and while the out-of-town scoreboard got a lot of attention between innings, it seemed to me there were far fewer ads on radio than last year.
I listen on 1310News in Ottawa.

March 22, 2021 10:02 am  #7

The CBC's website has a pretty interesting video story on the lack of unique radio coverage for the Jays this year. It runs just over two minutes and uses the infamous Joe Carter World Series winning home run to illustrate the differences between a radio and a TV-only broadcast. 

Blue Jays fans disappointed by loss of radio broadcast