sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 28, 2016 12:10 am  #1

CIDC Wants In On HD Radio

This week, the CRTC will rule on a January 2015 application by Evanov's Dufferin Communications to allow CIDC-FM (aka  Z103.5) to relocate to a new transmitter - the same one used by CIAO 530 AM - that would give the Orangeville licensed station a stronger reach into Toronto. In addition, they're seeking permission to broadcast an HD signal, which would see Z103.5 remain in the primary FM position, put CIAO on HD2 and CIRR (more familiarly known as 103.9 Pride FM) on HD3. Since Pride is already on FM, I can only assume the owners hope to boost coverage of its relatively weak signal with the move. 

So Dufferin wants CIDC to be more competitive in the Toronto market with a stronger reach. Yet here's a statement by the very same Dufferin to the Commission, made way back in 2000, when they were also seeking a change to their pattern. Get a load of this verbatim quote, as they tried to assure the regulator they weren't going after a T.O. audience:

"Nothing will cause CIDC-FM to shift its focus away from Orangeville…. CIDC-FM serves Orangeville with good programming, local news, traffic, weather and a strong presence in community activities…. To prosper, this town of 23,000 inhabitants must reach out to the overall CMA and beyond in order to attract a flow of commerce to the area…. [CIDC-FM provides] Orangeville with a vehicle to encourage and attract consumers, visitors, new home buyers and industry to the area." (CIDC CRTC application, July 28, 2000)

Hmmm, I wonder what kind of memory the CRTC has? We'll find out sometime this coming week. 

February 28, 2016 3:06 am  #2

Re: CIDC Wants In On HD Radio

16 years ago there was no other radio station intending to serve Orangeville PROPERLY 
but now there is. MyFM Orangeville.
That should be punishment enough for not serving Orangeville properly.

What happens next is anyone's guess...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 28, 2016 6:53 pm  #3

Must admit,  I thought the same thing.  And the CRTC has been pretty unforgiving about companies 'taking advantage' and making the commish look bad.  This could be interesting, especially since a lot of these concerns were brought to the forefront during the MyFM licence hearing.  The CRTC certainly can't say they aren't aware of the game being played out.

Radiowiz wrote:

16 years ago there was no other radio station intending to serve Orangeville PROPERLY 

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

February 29, 2016 12:35 pm  #4

Turns out the CRTC does have a long memory after all, denying the Evanovs and its Dufferin Communications the chance to sneak another signal supposedly serving a small community into Toronto. The Commission ruled on Monday that it wasn’t going to allow Z103.5 the contour changes the company was requesting, a move that not only denies it a stronger signal into T.O., (they’d requested a new antenna site and a power boost to 51,000 watts from the current 30,700) but also scuttles plans to introduce HD radio into the equation.

The CRTC said it had received interventions from Newcap, (which owns CFXJ and Boom) and the owners of Barrie’s Rock 95, (which has its fingers in 88.1’s CIND), which both complained the move was a blatant attempt to turn Z103.5 into a de facto Toronto station, and abandon its original area of license, Orangeville.

“Newcap submitted that while Dufferin has argued that it needs these technical changes to offset the competitive advantage of large Toronto stations, the changes will effectively create a new competitor in the Toronto marketplace without a call for applications, as well as increase Dufferin’s/Evanov’s competitive advantage over Newcap’s CFXJ-FM.”

You gotta love the Evanov’s bold faced reply.

“Dufferin stated that while it is no secret that CIDC-FM positions itself as a Toronto CMA radio station, it continues to reflect Orangeville by addressing its place in the larger context of the GTA. Dufferin further submitted that Orangeville residents will receive local and contextual news and information about their region through the combined efforts of CIDC-FM and the recently authorized FM station in Orangeville operated by My Broadcasting Corporation.”

So they use the fact that there’s another station in the market doing what they’re supposed to be doing as the reason they no longer do it? And what an insult to its original area of license it is to say they're "addressing its place in the larger context of the GTA." Unbelievable! They also claimed Newcap simply didn’t want the competition as an already established “downtown Toronto broadcaster.” And in perhaps the worst whopper of all, they stated the station would remain “loyal to its licensed region as the signal strength for Orangeville will be stronger and not weakened or lost.”

But in their strongly worded decision, the CRTC solons in effect called the entire proposal bullshit, and told Evanov to get back to broadcasting to the people they were licensed to serve. In one final irony, the Commission also noted that the proposal would effectively shut out part of Orangeville altogether if they granted the request!

I’m not a Z103.5 listener, but it will be interesting to hear if the Evanovs actually go back to serving Orangeville or just keep pretending they’re Toronto’s Top 40 radio station - even with a signal that doesn't entirely get there.

CRTC denies Z103.5’s contour changes 

February 29, 2016 2:47 pm  #5

CIDC has a loyal listener fanbase. To make them bigger, and compete with Virgin and Kiss with less of a disadvantage with their signal would be great. Rules aside, the CRTC should be rewarding a station that has grown over time. Regardless if you like Z103.5 or not, if boosting their signal creates more jobs within the radio industry then the CRTC is doing a disservice to them and the people looking for work in the industry.

March 2, 2016 10:31 pm  #6

I don't think you'll even find the word 'Orangeville' on their website or in their media kit. Even the last page of their media kit that shows a map of the areas they serve doesn't mark Orangeville. It's sad that they continue wasting money going after this power increase and transmitter move rather than paying their staff appropriately and giving out raises.

March 2, 2016 10:59 pm  #7

radiotech wrote:

It's sad that they continue wasting money rather than paying their staff appropriately and giving out raises.

With an attitude like that you'll be in the business about another 5 minutes...

March 3, 2016 12:27 am  #8

unclefester wrote:

I was going to say what makes anyone think they'll ever pay anyone better wages no matter what the Evanov group chooses to do with their money? 

Last edited by Radiowiz (March 3, 2016 1:01 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 3, 2016 10:57 am  #9

unclefester wrote:

radiotech wrote:

It's sad that they continue wasting money rather than paying their staff appropriately and giving out raises.

You should go work for them for a while and see if that statement changes. Their mismanagement and shoddy treatment of staff is well known.

March 3, 2016 11:24 am  #10

radiotech wrote:

unclefester wrote:

radiotech wrote:

You should go work for them for a while and see if that statement changes. Their mismanagement and shoddy treatment of staff is well known.

With an attitude like that you should do us all a favour and hand in your resignation today

May 1, 2016 9:39 am  #11

unclefester wrote:

radiotech wrote:

unclefester wrote:

With an attitude like that you should do us all a favour and hand in your resignation today

I left them years ago for this very reason, and I'm quite happy where I am now, but I appreciate your concern.

Some more experiences with them from others:

https://www.glassdoor.ca/Reviews/Evanov-Radio-Group-Reviews-E576612.htm?&countryRedirect=true

Last edited by radiotech (May 1, 2016 9:44 am)

May 1, 2016 5:23 pm  #12

Broadcasters that choose to ignore "GOOD VIBRATIONS", the most avant-garde industry-changing single since "Yummy Yummy Yummy", do so at their peril

May 1, 2016 5:49 pm  #13

Kilgore wrote:

Broadcasters that choose to ignore "GOOD VIBRATIONS", the most avant-garde industry-changing single since "Yummy Yummy Yummy", do so at their peril

Or was it the other way around?     The 60s are pretty much a fog

May 1, 2016 7:44 pm  #14

radiotech wrote:

unclefester wrote:

radiotech wrote:

I left them years ago for this very reason, and I'm quite happy where I am now, but I appreciate your concern.

Just for the record the only concern I've displayed in this thread has to do with you naming and bad mouthing your (now former) employer in public.  That my friend is my only concern...

Now run along...

May 2, 2016 7:32 am  #15

Radiowiz wrote:

And Bayshore's Country 105.  There's more Orangeville news there than on CIDC too.