sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 5, 2021 10:44 am  #1

Anyone Remember WNBC's Time Machine? For One Weekend, It's Back

Online outlet HitOldies.net is doing a weekend long tribute to my all-time favorite station, WNBC New York, and what was probably its greatest feature - The Time Machine. 

If you're not familiar with it, in the middle 80s, then-program boss Dale Parsons decided to devote the 12 AM- 6 AM hour to recreating the format of MusicRadio WABC, including the classic hits, those incredible PAMS jingles, contests and even the original massive reverb chamber that was installed at the transmitter. Soon it expanded to weekends and became one of the most talked about ideas in radio. 

Led on air by Big Jay Sorenson overnights, it attracted a lot of attention and with the Great 66's massive signal, it was an eastern seaboard sensation. I was often surprised that many people who weren't DXers discovered it and would listen to it regularly. 

Anyway, this online station has decided to pay tribute to WNBC and The Time Machine, for this weekend only. The programming started at 9 AM Friday, replaying a two hour-long history of the station, followed by all the elements of the great oldies experiment. 

If you remember it or are curious about how they pull it off, you can listen to it here or here

March 5, 2021 12:16 pm  #2

Re: Anyone Remember WNBC's Time Machine? For One Weekend, It's Back

Such a pity it doesn't work under chrome.  Oh well.

March 5, 2021 12:21 pm  #3

Try Firefox if you have it. Or use the second link. It works fine on that one. 

March 5, 2021 12:40 pm  #4

I was able to get it going and it sounds great.  Thanks RA for the heads up and the pointer to the other on-air links.

But I do think it's rather foolhardy to code a site that 66% of desktop browser users will have a problem with.  Firefox is nice but it only accounts for 8% of browser users.  I have it installed in one of my work partitions but only because the app I use demands it.  Brings to mind the whole argument of ditching analog broadcasting in favour of going all HD.  It's all fine and well but if the user base isn't there they'll just tune away.

March 6, 2021 4:44 pm  #5

Listening to it right now. Sounds great. Too bad today's oldies stations don't have this energy.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram