sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 3, 2021 9:13 am  #1

The Car Radio That Was Located On Your Roof

I have to confess I've never heard of this before. It sounds like an early invitation to distracted driving and while it certainly must have looked cool, (the ad below indicates "it'll makes your car look like the inside of a space ship") it's an insane concept in many ways. But it really existed.

You Used To Be Able To Buy A Radio For Your Roof 

[img]https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/c_fit,f_auto,g_center,pg_1,q_60,w_965/vm36j1odbo9cs10qcrdh.png[/img]

March 3, 2021 9:34 am  #2

Re: The Car Radio That Was Located On Your Roof

It’s kinda like component stereo for the car.  They’re not multiple radios.  One’s a cassette deck, the other an equalizer, a tuner, an amp - certainly overkill, but I loved modular audio component setups when I was young.  You know, back when sonic performance trumped safety in terms of importance.

i remember when I wanted to have a component TV system, where a monitor, television tuner, VCR, video disc player and CED player were all separate parts.  Such systems actually existed.  Now after which, you would connect the audio output to your hi-fi, which I guess became 2.1 home theatre.  Now though, I couldn’t be bothered.

My wonder would be on such a system, how would RA avoid going nutso, just trying to navigate the AM section. 😁

Last edited by Jody Thornton (March 3, 2021 9:35 am)

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

March 3, 2021 10:31 am  #3

Bitchin' Camaro.

March 3, 2021 11:37 am  #4

I can just see the peak level meters jamming Patio Lanterns out of that thing now. 

March 3, 2021 12:27 pm  #5

Look up...waaayy up...I bet Panasonic didn't sell many of these.  And the cockpit radio could very well have caused a few accidents.  Amazing that the engineers and executives at Panasonic thought this was a good idea and would be popular with the consumer. 

March 3, 2021 12:33 pm  #6

This would have been a real dilemma...

'82 Camaro "T" bar roof or Panasonic overhead cockpit stereo...

First world problems....

(I opted for the T Bar roof - didn't know about the Panasonic)

March 3, 2021 1:22 pm  #7

I do however miss the equalizers and stuff that some 80s car units had...although sound systems/speakers were subpar then. 

March 3, 2021 1:39 pm  #8

markow202 wrote:

I do however miss the equalizers and stuff that some 80s car units had...although sound systems/speakers were subpar then. 

I don’t know where you’re drawing that opinion.  There were some Alpine and Clarion systems with JBL and Jensen speakers that were sonically excellent, even if you made the comparisons using their cassette sections.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

March 3, 2021 1:53 pm  #9

IIRC, GM had JBL speakers in the 82 (G3) Camaro/Firebird series.  Loved the rear speakers in the slanted pillars, and the F/R fader...

March 5, 2021 12:09 am  #10

Do they have a sunroof version?