sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 23, 2021 10:29 pm  #1

Former CFTR, CHUM & CityTV Reporter Jeff Ansell Claimed By Cancer

Some here are sure to remember the name Jeff Ansell, who worked at two of the city’s biggest radio stations and also at City TV as a reporter. Jeff passed away Tuesday, apparently after a battle with cancer.

Ansell was one of those incredible talents who just kept going after he left broadcasting, authoring books on how to deal with the media if you’re ensnared in a scandal, appearing in the award winning movie "The Accountant Of Auschwitz,” currently showing on U.S. Netflix, consulting and even teaching at MIT & Harvard for a time in the U.S.

It’s obvious Ansell made a lot of friends in the business over the years. Among those leaving condolences messages on his obit page: Steve Paikin, Evelyn Macko, Peter Shurman, Galit Solomon, Ken Daniels, Libby Znaimer and Randy Maxwell (known as Randall Stevens during his CFTR years.)

I also knew Jeff and he was a very impressive guy. I’m terribly sorry to hear of his loss.

His funeral is Wednesday at 2 PM and because of COVID restrictions, it’s being streamed online for those who’d like to attend virtually.

February 24, 2021 5:04 pm  #2

Re: Former CFTR, CHUM & CityTV Reporter Jeff Ansell Claimed By Cancer

Very sorry to read this

Although I never had the pleasure of meeting Jeff I always admired his sound & his work

His presentation & delivery was outstanding. Effortless. I was envious 

May he rest in peace

February 24, 2021 8:08 pm  #3

Very sad to hear.  I had the brief opportunity to work with Jeff.  Many may not know but he cut his teeth in television at CKVR in Barrie where he came up a few times while working at CHUM-FM to do fill in weekend anchor shifts.
He was a real pro.   On his first shift he looked and sounded like he had been doing it for years.  All were very impressed.  On a personal note he was very professional, and a great guy to work with.   And as unclefester said his radio presentation and delivery was outstanding.   We were all envious.  
One interesting note for me at the time, one morning I went down to CHUM FM to see the place and watch Jeff work.  He did not write out his full scripts.   Just notes hand written on a piece of paper, or an article cut out of a newspaper or BN wire, and he would almost adlib from his notes.   Made him sound very conversational.   He was that good.    RIP

February 24, 2021 8:40 pm  #4

Got his start pulling records for Earl JIve in the CKGM-FM  (pre CHOM) library and reading the overnight news at CFCF AM 600. The launching point for a very talented man. RIP

February 25, 2021 3:36 pm  #5

February 25, 2021 4:16 pm  #6

Wow. That was great and perfectly captured the guy he was. Thanks so much for posting the link. 

February 25, 2021 5:22 pm  #7

RIP indeed, nice piece from Steve, when he left the biz, he really left...I haven't heard/seen him anywhere in the media for a while. 

65 is still too young.

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

February 25, 2021 11:56 pm  #8

Hi RA,
Sorry to hear about Jeff, my condolences to the family.
Here is a story that I cut with Jeff during my early days at CityPulse,  Please note the reporter process and involvement that was a part of every CtiyPulse story.  Jeff was really part of it.
Please enjoy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_xqD8ke2F8