sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 11, 2021 12:20 pm  #1

CRTC: JazzFM Can’t Double Its Weekly On Air Spot Time

The CRTC has denied a request to up the ad time on JazzFM, despite the station’s pleas that it wasn’t making enough revenue and that it would vastly help this uniquely formatted outlet with new programming.

But intervenor Dufferin Radio suggested CJRT simply wasn’t charging enough for its existing spots and could up its revenues by asking more per spot. JazzFM insisted its rates are competitive and that they’re not the lowest in the market. It also notes just because it asked for 1,200 minutes a week (as opposed to the current 504)  doesn’t mean it would sell all that time – it just wanted the new ceiling as an option.

The CRTC cited the infamous workplace grievances that saw so much friction between the board and its staff, blaming that for the ongoing financial woes at the station, including a loss of contributions from listeners.

And the Commission also agreed with Durham Radio’s contention that other stations would be hurt financially by more spot time on a competitor.

Which means 91.1 will have to figure out how to get by on its current level of 504 minutes of ads per week, as it was denied the request for the change.

CRTC JazzFM Decision

February 11, 2021 12:54 pm  #2

Re: CRTC: JazzFM Can’t Double Its Weekly On Air Spot Time

I don't have a strong opinion one way or another on whether this should have been approved, but this is infuriating:

In order to verify the licensee’s compliance with its condition of licence relating to advertising, Commission staff carried out a performance evaluation of CJRT-FM’s programming for the 12 to 18 April 2020 broadcast week. Based on its analysis of the station’s program log and the detailed advertising allocation provided by the licensee, Commission staff determined that the licensee appears to be in compliance with its advertising limit. In fact, according to the results of the evaluation, the station would have broadcast a total of 253 minutes of advertising that week, well below the 504 minutes afforded by its condition of licence. As such, there seems to be unused advertising inventory within CJRT-FM’s allotted 504 minutes of advertising.

They based the idea that they're only using half their inventory on snapshot taken in the middle of APRIL 2020??!?! You know who else was using half (or less) of their inventory that week: EVERYBODY.

That they allowed that data point to have any impact on their decision is one of the most inept things I've ever seen from the CRTC.

Last edited by RadioAaron (February 11, 2021 12:56 pm)

February 11, 2021 1:58 pm  #3

Bad/poor decision. The CRTC strikes again

February 11, 2021 4:23 pm  #4

Really bad decision, I smell bad blood. Durham radio owned The Wave 94.7 in the "Smooth Jazz" market. I wonder if there is any residual animosity between the 2 jazzier formats?

Wave could never draw enough listeners and thus went country...it is online though and on other media mediums too.

So Jazz FM has cornered the market on that kind of music programming...even though smooth jazz and more contemporary jazz is very different.

Just wondering if there is bad blood between the 2.

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

February 11, 2021 4:30 pm  #5

The intervention wasn't from Durham; it was from Dufferin (Evanov).

February 11, 2021 4:38 pm  #6

RadioAaron wrote:

The intervention wasn't from Durham; it was from Dufferin (Evanov).

The other RA is correct. That was a misprint from me. I originally had written Dufferin but somehow it changed in the final version. I have a brief hospital stay in my near future and I admit to being pretty distracted of late. It's understandably preying on what's left of my mind!

I will fix it in the original message. Thanks for the correction.  

February 12, 2021 9:05 pm  #7

Do you want prayers Radio Active? We can send you good energy while you're in hospital...and a Playboy Magazine! 

Keep well man!

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

February 12, 2021 9:21 pm  #8

RadioActive.  You get better real soon my old friend.  As Levon Helm always said, "Stay On The Good Foot."

February 13, 2021 3:12 am  #9

I'm fine with Jazz Fm because it keeps me sane.   Every time I get up in the morning, or listen any time, AM640 is seeking the low hanging fruit and it's all about THE PANDEMIC.    With the exception of Mike Stafford, whose producers do a great job and delve into more.    Today was another boring diatribe by Peter Shurman interviewing dipshits like I've heard full time since the Plague began!   Blah! Blah! Blah!  Why not find something interesting?   Or is everything all about the Plague?    FFS, it's AM Radio.  Get your shit together.   Live in my car, that's changing the dial with a push button.

February 13, 2021 10:56 am  #10

All the best RA.  Get well soon and have a speedy recovery! 

February 13, 2021 11:58 am  #11

Great station, excellent talent and music. CRTC can eat scrotum.

February 13, 2021 8:12 pm  #12

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

Do you want prayers Radio Active? We can send you good energy while you're in hospital...and a Playboy Magazine! Keep well man! 

John D wrote:

RadioActive.  You get better real soon my old friend.  As Levon Helm always said, "Stay On The Good Foot."

paterson1 wrote:

Ah, you guys [blushing]! Thanks for the good wishes. Without getting too specific, it's not as serious as it could be and the hope is I'm in and out of the hospital the same day, if all goes well. It's the recuperation period I'm really worried about. Hopefully, the Board will help keep me sane with the pain. (Not that I was all that sane to begin with...)

Anyway, thanks for the good wishes. I'll be fine eventually!

February 14, 2021 2:02 pm  #13

RadioActive wrote:

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

Do you want prayers Radio Active? We can send you good energy while you're in hospital...and a Playboy Magazine! Keep well man! 

John D wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Ah, you guys [blushing]! Thanks for the good wishes. Without getting too specific, it's not as serious as it could be and the hope is I'm in and out of the hospital the same day, if all goes well. It's the recuperation period I'm really worried about. Hopefully, the Board will help keep me sane with the pain. (Not that I was all that sane to begin with...)

Anyway, thanks for the good wishes. I'll be fine eventually!

All the best RA, Get well and back to your pun-dastic life!