sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 11, 2021 11:48 am  #1

Why has over modulation become so common?

I have noticed many stations and syndicated shows (Jewel, The Dock, My FM, The Breakfast Club) seem to have a real problem with over modulation when the host(s) do a break.  Most, if not all of these are not live but the sound quality does not match the rest of the show.  I was listening to The Dock in Owen Sound this morning and the station sounded fine until the host did a break.  She was not live and the sound quality of her break was lousy.  Too loud and actually distorted.  What is wrong with the technology that this would happen?

I have noticed this on various stations, so it is not a one off.  I remember listening to The Breakfast Club when they were on FLOW and I couldn't believe how crappy the sound quality was during their breaks which all sounded pre recorded.  Over processed, too loud and almost didn't sound like they were in stereo.  When FLOW played music, commercials or local traffic and weather, which was live the sound quality was crystal clear and a perfect audio level.  So it isn't a smaller market radio problem.   Has anyone else noticed this?

February 11, 2021 11:57 am  #2

Re: Why has over modulation become so common?

For the Breakfast Club.. They are voice tracks... so the music is played at the station locally.   Sadly most US stations still to this day push their mics very muddy/over compressed.   I also think it's a way they do it be heard over music posts.  Not great sound quality, but has become the norm.

Some hosts are currently also working from home with less than ideal setups.  There is also some stations who have NEVER had their mic processing setup correctly.  As well, some stations don't have equal setups in their voicetrack studio as they do in the control room...  This really the core of most differences. 

The voicetrack studio should have the same mic, same processor and same settings as your live control room... most don't.

Last edited by radiokid (February 11, 2021 12:02 pm)

February 11, 2021 12:31 pm  #3

Re: Why has over modulation become so common?

Thanks for the explanation radiokid.  Makes sense.   I also remember listening to Brooke and Jubal ( now Jeffery) which JUMP in Ottawa runs in the mornings.  The show is out of Seattle and similar to The Breakfast Club the breaks sounded like voice tracks and the hosts never referenced any of the songs played. Their breaks sounded somewhat detached from the rest of the show.  And you are right both hosts had a very processed or compressed almost "mono satellite feed" sound which was a lower and muddier sound quality than the commercials, traffic reports, music etc.  And this was years before COVID so they would have recorded the breaks in a studio and not a temporary home set up.  Thanks again.