sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 20, 2016 4:39 pm  #1

New Rogers Navigatr PVR guide a travesty

I returned from vacation recently to discover the totally new format for using the Rogers PVR called the Navigatr guide.. The old guide worked perfectly, was simple to use so if "something ain't broke, why fix it?"  The Navigatr is very frustrating and tedious to use. Yesterday, I was on the phone with someone at "the office of the president" for almost 30 minutes voicing my concerns and complaints. The old guide allowed you to select and record a program, with selected parameters and provided you with a simple list of shows already recorded and shows scheduled for recording.  Very simple & easy to use and understand. With Navigatr, once you select an item from the guide,you are presented with large iconic images of programs that are very tedious and frustrating to navigate with the arrow keys from your remote with very slow response time. You are given several save options with no indicator for choosing the final SAVE button. There is no simple list of recorded titles and no simple list of programs scheduled to record. I requested the option of going back to the old guide and was told that this is not possible. How can Rogers come up with such an abominable format for using their PVR?  If anyone agrees with me, please please call Rogers ombudsman's office or "office of president" to complain. We should not be forced to use something new when the old format was preferable.  Any comments?

February 20, 2016 6:40 pm  #2

Re: New Rogers Navigatr PVR guide a travesty

Is Kathleen Wynne now running Rogers ??

Sounds like they're taking lessons from the Ontario government...."look over here at what we have for you"  while skinny cable becomes official...

February 20, 2016 6:42 pm  #3

Everything goes obsolete within 6 years these days from computers to the junk on 'em.  The shyte is all built to die.  It's a scam.  Rogers are scammers too.  And it's only gonna get worse 'casue they can't afford the assets they own...and the financial obligations they've made.

Keep that wallet handy.

February 20, 2016 10:23 pm  #4

I hate the new Navigatr as well. My wife and I called Rogers to complain and they don't give a damn. It's the new look. They want it to look like Netflix and all the other garbage. I think it's a millennial conspiracy. Where I work our marketing is done by kids and it's garbage too. Our time is over.

February 20, 2016 10:30 pm  #5

Rogers, Cisco & Espial are working to bridge the 'old' system with the new IP system.   Everyone pretty much hates change, and I'm not a fan of the new navigatr either, but I hate everything for the first 3 months anyway.

This is an interesting video that might give the real techy geeks a bit more background on the development and where it's headed.

http://www.espial.com/ceo-jaison-dolvane-imagine-park-2015/

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

February 21, 2016 12:54 am  #6

I still have the original guide left over from the pre Cisco days even though my box is a Nextbox 2.0. 
They say if I switch to the 3.0 I will have no choice but to accept the new guide.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 21, 2016 2:57 pm  #7

alangee wrote:

My wife and I called Rogers to complain and they don't give a damn.        .

What's that you say ???

February 21, 2016 4:14 pm  #8

alangee wrote:

My wife and I called Rogers to complain and they don't give a damn. Our time is over.

It is if you expect to accomplish anything dealing with a remote call center.   Head office is 333 Bloor @ Jarvis.    Have you considered parking your butts in the waiting room & refusing to leave until you get personal attention?

G.

February 21, 2016 5:18 pm  #9

geo wrote:

alangee wrote:

My wife and I called Rogers to complain and they don't give a damn. Our time is over.

It is if you expect to accomplish anything dealing with a remote call center.   Head office is 333 Bloor @ Jarvis.    Have you considered parking your butts in the waiting room & refusing to leave until you get personal attention?

G.

All that would accomplish would be an involuntary visit  to Toronto Police Service at 3699 Bloor Street West...

Last edited by unclefester (February 21, 2016 5:19 pm)

February 22, 2016 12:03 pm  #10

" . . . was on the phone with someone at the office of the president for almost 30 minutes voicing my concerns"

Point is:  what are the odds mojo55 actually reached the executive suite?

February 22, 2016 12:48 pm  #11

Arlo Guthrie had to do jail time for littering.  Seemed DUMB at the time.  Jail time for cable issues?  Dumber.  Put 'em both together and what've you got?

February 22, 2016 11:38 pm  #12

I've been having problems since the first day it changed.  Too many to mention so I'll just mention a couple.  Last Thursday night and again tonight I had a program set for recording.  It was set up as a "Record Series" show.  

This afternoon I checked and saw the big picture of the show to be recorded.  It was there.  Just like last Thursday night the show did not record.  In fact it disappeared from the shows to be recorded.  Last Thursday the picture was there and it said it was recording.  It was not.  NO RED LIGHT ON THE PVR.  I could go on; but that's just a couple of problems I'm having.

Look change is hard; but the old screens were just fine thank you very much.  Like Microsoft and Apple....."released before the bugs were worked out."

Last edited by Bearsville (February 22, 2016 11:40 pm)

February 23, 2016 11:41 am  #13

Bearsville wrote:

Like Microsoft and Apple....."released before the bugs were worked out."

Actually, the big software companies adopted a new development model decades ago. The idea is to dramatically downsize in-house testing and troubleshooting. Simply push the new product out to the world and let your customers act as the testing team. Then, as problem reports flood in, work on the problems. The biggest computer lab in the Universe.

So, here we all are...unpaid testing employees for Microsoft and all the others. What a concept! What a country! Fits into the overall direction though. Pump your own gas. Do your own banking. Pack your own groceries. Self checkout...yada, yada, yada.

P.S. Anyone notice price drops as a result of us doing the work? Anyone? Huh? Hello?

Last edited by Dial Twister (February 23, 2016 11:42 am)