sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 30, 2021 9:14 am  #1

Torben Wittrup obit

From today's Globe and Mail and Toronto Star former news man on CFRB CHFI CKEY CKWS and CKGB died Jan 26 at 91 years of age as a result of complications from a fall

Last edited by Calhame (January 30, 2021 9:21 am)

January 30, 2021 10:37 am  #2

Re: Torben Wittrup obit

A couple of months ago, in my other life as a customer service rep, I got a call and it turned out to be Mr. Wittrup.  I asked if he was the gentleman who was on CFRB and he happily acknowledged that it was indeed him.  We chatted a bit about where the business has gone.  The call ran a lot longer than it should have but neither of us minded.  He was extremely pleasant.

And he sounded great.

Condolences to his family.

January 30, 2021 11:32 am  #3

I worked with Torben the first time that I was at RB in the mid 80s.  A great talent a real gentleman.  How could you not be with a name like that!

January 30, 2021 7:41 pm  #4

According to his obit, he also briefly worked at CKEY and CHFI. But it was at CFRB where he really made his name. 

Torben Wittrup Obit 

By the way, the first part of the condolences section at the end of the obit reads like a greatest hits of CFRB news. Comments from Dave Agar, Prior Smith, Hal Vincent and Charles Doering, all former colleagues of the late newsman. 

January 30, 2021 11:40 pm  #5

CFRB ad from 1976 featuring Torben Wittrup, Bob Hesketh, Gordon Sinclair and Charles Doering.

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/521150988131104860/

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram