sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 28, 2021 9:32 pm  #1

#BellLetsTalk Still Raises Money/Awareness But....

I guess it's still a viable and important movement and day and conversation(s) to have, especially during the pandemic, from a company that cares, unless you work for them (I've heard/read)😶

January 28, 2021 9:41 pm  #2

Re: #BellLetsTalk Still Raises Money/Awareness But....

It's a worthy cause, but God, does it start to get boring, tedious and repetitious by the third or fourth hour of it on all their stations. I wound up tuning out of CFRB and CKTB on Thursday after I couldn't take it any more (although granted most people don't consume as much radio as I tend to.) 

And the fact they stick their corporate name in the title ("BELL Let's Talk Day!") speaks volumes to me about one of the reasons behind it.  

January 28, 2021 10:21 pm  #3

The thing that bugs me is that when Mike Bullard was fired Bell did not seem to care that he was diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder.
That is why he harassed his former girlfriend.
Now I acknowledge that what he did was wrong and of course criminally illegal but Bell's self rightous mental health crusade emphasizes how we have to understand the stigma of mental illness.
The second one of their own has a mental illness that gets him into trouble legally the reaction is well that's no good we better cut him loose.

January 28, 2021 10:36 pm  #4

The Bell Lets Talk Day has become a yearly tradition usually followed several days later by another round of cuts.

The irony.

January 29, 2021 12:46 am  #5

newsguy1 wrote:

The thing that bugs me is that when Mike Bullard was fired Bell did not seem to care that he was diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder.
That is why he harassed his former girlfriend.
Now I acknowledge that what he did was wrong and of course criminally illegal but Bell's self rightous mental health crusade emphasizes how we have to understand the stigma of mental illness.
The second one of their own has a mental illness that gets him into trouble legally the reaction is well that's no good we better cut him loose.

He had a reputation for being jerk for nearly two decades before that.  Perhaps that's part of it.

January 29, 2021 1:08 am  #6

Peter the K wrote:

The Bell Lets Talk Day has become a yearly tradition usually followed several days later by another round of cuts.

The irony.

"Bell Canada is a carrier of phone service in much the same way a mosquito is a carrier of Malaria."

(with apologies to Lewis Black)

January 29, 2021 3:37 pm  #7

I think Bell should be congratulated.  Let's be honest, because of Bell Let's Talk Day, mental health  no longer has as much stigma or ignored like before.  So carp away, nit pick and whine all you want, at least they are trying to help.  Even big bad companies that some hate actually do good things sometimes.

And calling the initiative "Bell Let's Talk Day" is a problem?  Or you find it boring after a while?  These  issues are important because???   I find it hilarious and a bit sad that so many on here are always complaining about commercials and the business or money side of broadcasting.  Most posts portray commercials and the business part of broadcasting as stupid, greedy, bad, selling out, money hungry, cheap etc...

Did most of you not have a career in commercial radio and TV?  It obvious that some don't think advertising works, and takes advantage of those that can't think for themselves. In reality the lack of knowledge seems to be the other way around.   That is what really speaks volumes I am afraid.  

Here is their website, why not take a few minutes and educate yourself and actually see what it is all about.....https://letstalk.bell.ca/en/news/1257/bell-let-s-talk-day-2021-be-there 

Last night around 11pm they had donated/raised over 7 million.  I haven't yet heard the final total.

January 29, 2021 5:00 pm  #8

grilled.cheese wrote:

It's a great marketing campaign for Bell.

Looking good by doing good is every major corporations agenda.

Bell looks like they're on autopilot with #BellLetsTalk. Doing a reroll of a reroll.

And where, one might ask, does the money go, and how is it spent.

Maybe next year Bell could do a number of features on this year's efforts and which organizations benefit from their campaign.

I, to use an expression beloved by hockey analysts, don't disagree with a lot of what you all have said, and I can see the pros and the 🥱

Have a good weekend everyone.

Last edited by betaylored (January 29, 2021 5:11 pm)

January 29, 2021 5:08 pm  #9

Peter the K wrote:

The irony.

👏👏👏 and one of these days, somebody who Bell gets rid of, who has a high profile on Twitter and Instagram, AND has mental health challenges will call them on it (pun not intended) (much)

Last edited by betaylored (January 29, 2021 5:12 pm)

February 1, 2021 10:56 am  #10

I'm not saying I agree with this, but it's certainly thought provoking. It's written by a staffer at the McGill Daily, the student newspaper attached to the Montreal University. It's about the annual "Bell Let's Talk Day" and let's just say it's not terribly complimentary.

"It is tough to trust the campaign when Bell, a company whose actions display the utmost contempt for people experiencing depression, spearheads the movement. In 2017, [url=https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/bell-media-host-mental-health-1.3950097#:~:text=A%2024%2Dyear%2Dold%20radio,adjust%20to%20her%20new%20medication.]Maria McLean,[/url] a radio host in Grand Falls, New Brunswick, was dismissed from her post after she provided her supervisors with a doctor’s note that recommended a two week mental-health leave. Bell is the company that owned the radio station at the time.

"In addition, as many as 
employees revealed the toll that Bell’s toxic work environment took on their health. Because of these actions, I see the whole movement as a cheap way for Bell to improve its corporate image." 

Bell, We Need to Talk About the choreographed marketing stunt to make yourself look good