sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 28, 2021 7:08 pm  #1

Why Is This Spot Running On Canadian TV?

I know local TV stations are feeling the pinch for ad dollars these days (and to be honest I almost never watch commercials thanks to my trusty remote) but I was flipping through the channels on Wednesday when I came across a local Canadian station (can't quite recall which one.) 

It was a spot for West Palm Beach, Florida, with two typically beautiful people sitting on flotation devices in what looked like a calm ocean, with a tag line that went something like, "West Palm Beach. We're waiting for you!"

Look, they have a right to advertise. But in the middle of a Stay at Home Order in Ontario, during a deadly pandemic? When officials are openly telling people 'don't go away for March  Break?' With federal officials threatening to bring in travel restrictions? And when public servants and politicians are being fired for having admitted they travelled when everyone else had to stay put? 

I don't know. Stations always pull air travel spots if there's a plane crash. Seems to me a pandemic that's killed hundreds of thousands of people around the world is certainly in that category.   

It's certainly an odd time to try to entice already weary Ontario residents to head a warm destination they're probably not supposed to be at. Did anyone else see this and think it was an ill-timed commercial?

January 28, 2021 8:22 pm  #2

Re: Why Is This Spot Running On Canadian TV?

I work in advertising and have dealt with numerous clients impacted by the pandemic. From a purely business point of view, I would argue it’s important to keep your brand out there for after the pandemic (when it’s safe to travel again); I have not seen this ad, but the strategy undoubtedly is going to include getting people to think about travel after the pandemic, even if they’re not coming out and saying it.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (January 28, 2021 8:24 pm)

January 28, 2021 8:23 pm  #3

It makes them look terrible and horribly insensitive. There's a time and place for a spot like that. I would argue that now isn't one of them. 

January 28, 2021 10:33 pm  #4

It's just simple human greed.these ads are no[ posted by human beings with a conscience but by companies with an advertising budget.
They simply dont care how sick you get by travelling to their destination or infecting everyone after you leave.
It makes me wanna puke every time I hear someone ask "who did I hurt?” when they travel abroad for no reason.

January 29, 2021 8:42 am  #5

It's life as usual in Florida for those who aren't dying.

Governor DeathSantis as I heard him referred to doesn't believe in masks or any precautions... so the state is wide open, restaurants-- packed, bars--packed until 5am.

Their per capita Covid rate is way higher than Ontario's where we have a stay-at-home order. 

As much as I would love to be in Palm Beach, there's no amount of advertising that could take me away from Ontario this winter.

January 29, 2021 10:05 am  #6

zed wrote:

Their per capita Covid rate is way higher than Ontario's where we have a stay-at-home order. 

Median average age of Floridians is way higher than Ontario's where we have a stay-at-home order

January 29, 2021 10:46 am  #7

I saw the ad this morning on CP24.  It's showing scenery around the Florida Keys, Key West and a family.  It is really retentive advertising, keeping their name out.  There is no special offer or message about coming to Florida right now at all.  It talks about what important in life, health, peace, family, friends etc.  At the end of the spot it says "we'll see you soon.." 

So I am with MJ Vancouver on this, the ad is really about when it is time to travel again, you will think of and remember Southern Florida and the Keys.  To me there is nothing wrong with a message like that. 

Friday Harbour Resort has also been running something similar except this is in Ontario just outside of Barrie.  They talk about getting away and welcoming you safely back.  So their message is more direct. But there isn't any offer or deal.  Similar to the Florida ad it is more about keeping their name top of mind. 

January 29, 2021 10:55 am  #8

Yes, but it's no coincidence of timing that March Break is relatively right around the corner. 

January 29, 2021 11:08 am  #9

Both Friday Harbour and Florida Keys advertise most of the year.

January 29, 2021 2:43 pm  #10

grilled.cheese wrote:

I don't see the problem as long as all health protocols are followed, if someone chooses to visit Florida or Barrie for March break.

People travelling north of Schitts Creek are required to self-isolate for 14 days at the Rosebud Motel

February 12, 2021 8:05 pm  #11

An ad (PSA) just aired on City TV that CLEARLY suggests that socializing is now okay, pandemic and all, as long as you don't drink and drive.  Don't drink and drive and you will arrive alive. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 12, 2021 8:32 pm  #12

grilled.cheese wrote:

And for good reason; Lots of germs in the Uxbridge area and rural parts of Durham. 

Too many people have no idea.